Residence permit for the purpose of self-employment - Issuance - am Standort Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer

Aktuelle Hinweise zu diesem Standort

Die Online-Terminvereinbarung (OTV) des LEA steht auch in den nächsten Tagen leider nicht zur Verfügung.

Dies liegt an umfangreichen und komplexen Wartungsarbeiten des ITDZ an der OTV, die länger andauern als vorauszusehen war.

Ihr Aufenthaltstitel / Aufenthaltsgestattung / Duldung läuft innerhalb der nächsten 4 Wochen ab oder ist bereits abgelaufen?

  • Dann wenden Sie sich bitte für einen Termin mittels Kontaktformular an das für Sie zuständige Referat.
Es liegt ein Notfall vor und Sie benötigen dringend einen Termin?
Wir arbeiten unter Hochdruck eng mit dem ITDZ zusammen, um den Service der OTV so schnell wie möglich wieder anbieten zu können. Die entstehenden Unannehmlichkeiten bedauern wir sehr und bitten um Verständnis.

 Larger map


  • This facility is wheelchair accessible.
  • Handicapped parking space available.
  • A wheelchair-accessible elevator is available.
  • A wheelchair-accessible WC is available.
Explanation of symbols

Elevators in the houses A and C

Opening hours

  • Monday

      7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment only)
  • Tuesday

      7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment only)
  • Wednesday

      8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment only )
  • Thursday

      9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (by appointment only )
  • Friday

      8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (by appointment only)


Additional information

  • Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
  • Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).

Payment options


Residence permit for the purpose of self-employment - Issuance -

A residence permit for a self-employed occupation may be issued for
  • Founder of a company,
  • Sole proprietor and
  • Managing directors and legal representatives of partnerships and corporations, if they have entrepreneurial responsibility.
Note: For freelancers different requirements apply (see service "Residence permit for a freelance employment - Issuance" in the section "More information").


  • Main residence in Berlin
  • Economic interest of the state of Berlin
    A foreigner may be granted a residence permit for the pursuit of a self-employed occupation if
    • an economic interest or a regional need exists,
    • the occupation is expected to have a positive impact on the economy and
    • the implementation is financed by equity or a loan commitment.
    Exception: different standards apply to university graduates, researchers and scientists.
  • For university graduates, researchers and scientists
    Another examination standard applies to foreigners who
    • have successfully completed a course of study in Germany at a state, state-recognised or comparable training institution, or
    • work as a researcher or scientist in Germany and hold a residence permit.
    The intended self-employed occupation must have a connection with the knowledge acquired during the studies or the occupation as a researcher or scientist.
  • Adequate pension plan (only if you have already completed the 45th year of life)
    The following applies to 2024:
    Perspectively, at the age of 67, you must have
    • either a monthly pension of 1,503.34 euros (for at least 12 years)
    • or an asset amount of 216,481.00 euros.
    Proof of a pension plan is not required for these nationalities: Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Turkey and the United States of America
    (Note: An adequate pension is always necessary for the issuance of a permanent settlement permit - regardless of age or nationality.)
  • Personal appearance by appointment is required

Documents required

  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
    Only required for first-time application
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Businessplan
    You can find tips for creating your business plan, for example, on the start-up portal of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy - BMWi (see section "More information").
  • Financing plan
    see section "Forms"
  • Resume / Curriculum vitae
    Details of professional career, qualification certificates, diploma, references/sponsors
  • For university graduates: A statement by the university
    A statement by the university regarding the knowledge acquired in higher education and the connection to the business idea
  • For university graduates: Degree from a state-recognised university or comparable training institution in Germany
  • For researchers and scientists: A statement of the previous employer
    A statement of the previous employer (e.g. research institution) on the connection between the occupation as researcher/scientist and the business idea
  • Excerpt from the Trade Register
    However, at least the application for registration in the commercial register via a notary public; in the original
  • Trade registration (Gewerbeanmeldung)
    Only if no entry in the commercial register is required; in the original
  • Health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Health insurance" (see section "More information").
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
  • Rental cost / expenses for property
    Proof of the monthly rental costs (e.g. current account statement) or costs of the inhabited property; in each case in original form
  • Adequate pension plan (only if you have already completed the 45th year of life)
    You can provide evidence of adequate retirement benefits (see section "Prerequisites") by:
    • an offer from a private pension or life insurer,
    • own assets,
    • acquired pension rights or
    • operating assets
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


  • 100.00 euros
Turkish citizens:
  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
  • Until the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.