Permanent settlement permit for self-employed persons at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
Current information on this location
- Please note the information about service at our locations from May 31st on our website.
Changes in opening hours
To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Please note: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments. We kindly ask you – if possible – to come without accompanying persons to the appointment.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
- Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
- Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Permanent settlement permit for self-employed persons
If your residence permit has been issued for self-employed entrepreneurial activities, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit after 3 years.
In particular, in order to be eligible, you
- must have established your enterprise successfully, and
- the income generated must be sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of your family.
There is no legal claim for obtaining a permanent settlement permit.
If you are a freelancer, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit at the earliest after 5 years. For more information please refer to the section “More information”.
- Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
- Your application can also be checked if you make an appointment to extend your residence permit. Please bring the required documents with you to the appointment.
A 3-year residence permit for an entrepreneurial activity (not a freelance activity)
Your residence permit must have been issued pursuant to § 21 subs. 1 or subs. 2a AufenthG for self-employed entrepreneurial activities.
If you are a freelancer and your residence permit has been issued pursuant to § 21 subs. 5 AufenthG, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit at the earliest after 5 years and subject to other requirements. For more information, please refer to the section “More information”.
The income generated by your entrepreneurial activities must be sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of your family. Income generated by members of your family or profits from capital may not be considered.
Sufficient health insurance
Secured means of support include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
- If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
- If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
When reaching the age of 67, you must
- either receive a monthly pension of no less than EUR 1,332.36 (for at least 12 years),
- or have assets in the amount of EUR 194,631.00.
No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
- Main residence in Berlin
Valid passport, together with your residence permit
Your residence permit must have been issued pursuant to § 21 subs. 1 or subs. 2a AufenthG.
If you are a freelancer, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit at the earliest after 5 years.
For more information, please refer to the section “More information”.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Prüfungsbericht" (filled out)
Together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register.
The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
Lease or proof of home ownership
Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
Please submit either the insurance card issued by your statutory health insurance, or the insurance policy issued by a private health insurance company.
You can provide evidence of adequate retirement benefits (see section "Prerequisites") by:
- a private pension or life insurance,
- own assets,
- acquired pension rights or
- operating assets
Integration course certificates
- "Zertifikat Integrationskurs" (Integration Course Certificate) about the successful participation in the integration course or
- Certificate of the results obtained in the final tests of the Integration Course
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- For the issue of the permanent settlement permit: 124.00 euros.
- If the application must be rejected: 62.00 euros.
- up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros for the issue, 11.40 euros if the application must be rejected
- from the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros for the issue, 18.50 euros if the application must be rejected
S-Bahn S 41/42 (Westhafen)
U-Bahn U 9 (Amrumer Str.)
Bus 123, 142, M27