Residence permit for a freelance employment - Issuance

A residence permit may be issued for a freelance occupation if it is expected to have a positive economic or cultural impact.

Freelance occupations include, for example, artists, writers, language teachers and self-employed doctors, engineers, auditors, interpreters or architects.


  • Freelance employment
    It must be a self-employed academic, artistic, literary, teaching, educational or other self-employed professional occupation in accordance with s. 18 (1) Income Tax Act (see section "Further Information").
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • In-person visit
    The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.

Documents required

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • The form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
    Only required for first-time application
  • Financing plan
  • Revenue forecast
  • Regarding artists and language teachers: Proof of other regular income
    E.g. own assets, regular transfers from dependent parents, submission of a declaration of obligation by a solvent third party
  • If you want to work on a fee basis: Letter of intent for the collaboration
    Submission of at least two declarations of intent (with information on type, scope and description of the occupation)
  • Fee contracts
  • Curriculum vitae
    Details of professional career, qualification certificates, diploma, references/sponsors
  • Professional permit
    If a permit is required for the freelance occupation, e.g. a license to practice law (original)
  • Health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
  • Rental cost / expenses for property
    Proof of the monthly rental costs (e.g. current account statement) or costs of the inhabited property; in each case in original form
  • Adequate pension plan
    Only if you are above the age of 45:

    An offer from a private pension or life insurer must be submitted which guarantees
    • a monthly pension of 1,188.92 euros after the age of 67 (for at least 12 years)
    • or guarantees an asset amount of 175,068 euros.
    Alternatively, evidence can also be provided from currently available assets.

    Proof of a pension plan is not required for these nationalities: Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Turkey and the United States of America

    Note: An adequate pension is always necessary for the issuance of a permanent settlement permit - regardless of age or nationality.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung) or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when issuing the residence permit.
  • 56.00 to 100.00 euros
  • Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros

Average time to process request

The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.

Responsible authorities

You can only make use of this service at the

Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the State Administration Authority (Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten),

at the Berlin-Tiergarten site, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24.