Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with an academic education at the location LEA, Keplerstr.
Current information on this location
- Bitte beachten Sie die Informationen auf unserer Website zur Bedienung ab dem 31.05.2021.
Changes in opening hours
To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.
Additional appointments are made available for urgent matters:
- For urgent cases the units B 1 and B 2 release daily short-term appointments online for Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Furthermore, from the 2nd of May 2021 every Wednesday in the afternoon hundreds of fast lane appointments for the following Thursday at Keplerstraße will be released.
Information on the address of this location
The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Please note: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments. We kindly ask you – if possible – to come without accompanying persons to the appointment.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with an academic education
Issuance or extension of a temporary residence permit for skilled workers with an academic qualification who wish to pursue qualified employment for which they are qualified due to their studies.
The temporary residence permit is issued for up to four years. If the employment contract has a shorter term or if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is limited to a shorter period, in an individual case the temporary residence permit will be issued for less than four years and extended.
Employment or concrete job offer
There should already be an employment contract or at least a draft.
Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
Occupation practice permit
If a permit is required for professional practice (e.g. doctors, engineers), the person in question must prove they hold that permit or that it has been promised before the temporary residence permit is issued.
Equivalence of the qualification
The issuance of a temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker requires that the person in question hold a German higher education degree, a recognised foreign higher education degree or a foreign higher education degree comparable to a German one.
- In the Anabin database of the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB) you may enquire whether a foreign higher education degree is recognised in Germany.
- If the database contains no meaningful information, applicants must apply to ZAB for an individual paid evaluation of their degree and submit that evaluation.
An adequate retirement pension scheme (only if you are over 45 years of age)
For the issuance of the temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker, as a rule persons over the age of 45 must have an adequate retirement pension scheme.
- The salary must correspond to at least 55 per cent of the annual calculation limit in the general pension insurance scheme. This currently corresponds to a monthly income of at least €3,905.00 gross.
- The salary may be lower if an adequate retirement pension scheme has already been secured from other public or private sources.
- Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
An employment relationship in Germany must be established. Business premises in Germany are required.
Proof of qualification as a qualified skilled worker with academic education
Supporting documents (original) confirming
- a German higher education degree, a higher education certificate or
- a recognised foreign higher education degree, an evaluation in the Anabin database or
- a foreign higher education degree comparable to a German higher education degree, individual paid evaluation by ZAB
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for the first application.
Occupation practice permit
Only if required (see 'Prerequisites')
Lease or proof of home ownership
Rental cost / expenses for property
Supporting documents proving monthly rent costs (e.g. a current account statement) or the costs of the occupied property (original)
Certificate of employment (Only in case of extension)
Certificate from the employer regarding the duration of the unfinished employment not older than 14 days)
Proof of salary: Where the temporary residence permit is extended for further employment with the same employer
Supporting documents on the net earnings from the first two months and the last two months
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer (The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please inform your insurer that you need the certificate for a residence permit for employment.)
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung) or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.