Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with an academic education
Issuance or extension of a temporary residence permit for skilled workers with an academic qualification who wish to pursue qualified employment for which they are qualified due to their studies.
The temporary residence permit is issued for up to four years. If the employment contract has a shorter term or if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is limited to a shorter period, in an individual case the temporary residence permit will be issued for less than four years and extended.
Employment or concrete job offer
There should already be an employment contract or at least a draft.
Employment in Germany
An employment relationship in Germany must be established. In addition, the employer must have a place of business in Germany.
Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
Occupation practice permit
If a permit is required for professional practice (e.g. doctors, engineers), the person in question must prove they hold that permit or that it has been promised before the temporary residence permit is issued.
Equivalence of the qualification
The issuance of a temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker requires that the person in question hold a German higher education degree, a recognised foreign higher education degree or a foreign higher education degree comparable to a German one.
- In the Anabin database of the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB) you may enquire whether a foreign higher education degree is recognised in Germany.
- If the database contains no meaningful information, applicants must apply to ZAB for an individual paid evaluation of their degree and submit that evaluation.
An adequate retirement pension scheme (only if you are over 45 years of age)
For the issuance of the temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker, as a rule persons over the age of 45 must have an adequate retirement pension scheme.
- The salary must correspond to at least 55 per cent of the annual calculation limit in the general pension insurance scheme. For the year 2023, this corresponds to a monthly gross income of at least 4,015.00 euros.
- The salary may be lower if an adequate retirement pension scheme has already been secured from other public or private sources.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
Please make an appointment for this.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
- Employment contract (original)
Proof of qualification as a qualified skilled worker with academic education
Supporting documents (original) confirming
- a German higher education degree, a higher education certificate or
- a recognised foreign higher education degree, an evaluation in the Anabin database or
- a foreign higher education degree comparable to a German higher education degree, individual paid evaluation by ZAB
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for the first application.
Occupation practice permit
Only if required (see 'Prerequisites')
Lease or proof of home ownership
Rental cost / expenses for property
Supporting documents proving monthly rent costs (e.g. a current account statement) or the costs of the occupied property (original)
Certificate of employment (Only in case of extension)
Certificate from the employer regarding the duration of the unfinished employment not older than 14 days)
Proof of salary: Where the temporary residence permit is extended for further employment with the same employer
Supporting documents on the net earnings from the first two months and the last two months
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer (The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please inform your insurer that you need the certificate for a residence permit for employment.)
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung) or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros