Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
Current information on this location
Currently, the number of hits on our online appointment scheduling has increased massively. Unfortunately, this can mean that the service is temporarily unavailable. A maintenance page will then be displayed. Please note our
Changes in opening hours
- To further contain the corona infection the service at our locations will be restricted. For the time being until March 7th, 2021, service will only take place by appointment.
- We are closed on March 8th, 2021 due to the public holiday (International Women's Day).
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with a medical mask. Medical masks in this sense are surgical masks as well as masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments.
- We ask accompanying people including German spouses, whose attendance was requested, for their understanding: Due to the current pandemic we cannot grant you access.
- An exception will be made for lawyers with ID, legal guardians with official ID and sign language interpreters who accompany the customer. Children below the age of 14 years may accompany parents if no alternative supervision can be arranged.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens
Issuance or extension of a residence permit for the
- Same sex life partners,
- Parents and
You already have such a residence permit for 3 years? And would you like to apply for an permanent settlement permit? Then please inform yourself here:
Information on a permanent residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens.
- For a recognized marriage or registered same-sex civil partnership, the personal interview of both spouses / partners is required.
- In the case of minors, the personal interview of the family (parents with child) is required.
Of majority of both spouses or same sex life partners
Both spouses or same-sex partners must have completed their 18th birthday.
Simple German language skills
The foreign spouse or same-sex partner usually has to have basic German language skills.
Main residence in Berlin
A second home in Berlin is not sufficient.
Application form (filled out)
See the “Forms” section.
Please fill in one form for each person who wishes to apply for a residence permit.
(not required for the extension of the residence permit)
A passport must be submitted for each member of the family. For German spouses / same sex civil partners, the personal identity card (Personalausweis) is also sufficient.
Kinderausweis (Child's identity card)
For German children, a children's ID (Kinderausweis) is required. (if available)
1 current biometric photo
The photograph must be current. It must also fulfill the photograph requirements for electronic passports. The photo sample page (Foto-Mustertafel) of the German Federal Printing Office (Bundesdruckerei)includes the individual requirements.
Marriage certificate/ partnership certificate
For spouses or same sex civil partners (not required for the extension of the residence permit)
Birth certificate for underage children
For a German child or a foreign child with a German parent (not required for the extension of the residence permit.)
Certificate regarding legal custody
A certificate regarding legal custody must always be presented if
- the foreign father is not married to the child's mother and the residence permit application affects care and custody
- an under-age, foreign child applies for a residence permit and one of the parents is not resident in Germany.
Proof of recognition of paternity (Vaterschaftsanerkennung)
A paternity recognition must always be presented if the parents are not married under the German law (not required for the extension of the residence permit).
For all foreign documents: translation, possibly with an additional apostil or confirmation of authenticity
- Please provide an authenticated translation of all foreign documents.
- Depending on your country of origin, you may also need an apostil or confirmation of authenticity (issued by a German consular official) for your document(s). More on the topic in the section "More information".
Confirmation from the Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt)
If the foreign father of a German child applies for a residence permit without being accompanied by the child's mother, confirmation (not older than 14 days) is required from the Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt) regarding the degree of contact he has with his child.
Current certificate of school attendance
For children who are required to attend school, no matter if they have the German or a foreign citizenship. The certificate must not be older than 14 days.
Language certificate (Only required for the foreign spouse / same sex civil partner)
An A1 language certificate (about simple knowledge of the German language) must be submitted.
All certificates showing participation in the integration (Only in case of extension).
If you were required to attend an integretion course by the Registration Office for Foreigners you have to show all certificates showing participation in the integration course.
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung) or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Adults: 100.00 euros
- Minors: 50.00 euros
- Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
- Adults: 93.00 euros
- Minors: 46.50 euros
- Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.
S-Bahn S 41/42 (Westhafen)
U-Bahn U 9 (Amrumer Str.)
Bus 123, 142, M27