Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens
Issuance or extension of a residence permit for the
- Same sex life partners,
- Parents and
You already have such a residence permit for 3 years? And would you like to apply for an permanent settlement permit?
Then please inform yourself in the section "More information" (see service 'Permanent settlement permit for family members of German citizens')
- For a recognized marriage or registered same-sex civil partnership, the personal interview of both spouses / partners is required.
- In the case of minors, the personal interview of the family (parents with child) is required.
Of majority of both spouses or same sex life partners
Both spouses or same-sex partners must have completed their 18th birthday.
Simple German language skills
The foreign spouse or same-sex partner usually has to have basic German language skills.
Main residence in Berlin
A second home in Berlin is not sufficient.
Application form (filled out)
See the “Forms” section.
Please fill in one form for each person who wishes to apply for a residence permit.
(not required for the extension of the residence permit)
A passport must be submitted for each member of the family. For German spouses / same sex civil partners, the personal identity card (Personalausweis) is also sufficient.
Kinderausweis (Child's identity card)
For German children, a children's ID (Kinderausweis) is required. (if available)
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Marriage certificate/ partnership certificate
For spouses or same sex civil partners (not required for the extension of the residence permit)
Birth certificate for underage children
For a German child or a foreign child with a German parent (not required for the extension of the residence permit.)
Certificate regarding legal custody
A certificate regarding legal custody must always be presented if
- the foreign father is not married to the child's mother and the residence permit application affects care and custody
- an under-age, foreign child applies for a residence permit and one of the parents is not resident in Germany.
Proof of recognition of paternity (Vaterschaftsanerkennung)
A paternity recognition must always be presented if the parents are not married under the German law (not required for the extension of the residence permit).
For all foreign documents: translation, possibly with an additional apostil or confirmation of authenticity
- Please provide an authenticated translation of all foreign documents.
- Depending on your country of origin, you may also need an apostil or confirmation of authenticity (issued by a German consular official) for your document(s). More on the topic in the section "More information".
Confirmation from the Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt)
If the foreign father of a German child applies for a residence permit without being accompanied by the child's mother, confirmation (not older than 14 days) is required from the Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt) regarding the degree of contact he has with his child.
Current certificate of school attendance
For children who are required to attend school, no matter if they have the German or a foreign citizenship. The certificate must not be older than 14 days.
Language certificate (Only required for the foreign spouse / same sex civil partner)
An A1 language certificate (about simple knowledge of the German language) must be submitted.
All certificates showing participation in the integration (Only in case of extension).
If you were required to attend an integretion course by the Registration Office for Foreigners you have to show all certificates showing participation in the integration course.
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung) or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Adults: 100.00 euros
- Minors: 50.00 euros
- Turkish citizens: a maximum of 37.00 euros
- Adults: 93.00 euros
- Minors: 46.50 euros
- Turkish citizens: a maximum of 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.