Residence permit for scientific staff and researchers at the location LEA, Keplerstr.
Current information on this location
Currently, the number of hits on our online appointment scheduling has increased massively. Unfortunately, this can mean that the service is temporarily unavailable. A maintenance page will then be displayed. Please note our
Changes in opening hours
Zur weiteren Eindämmung des Corona-Infektionsgeschehens (Lockdown) wird die Bedienung an unseren Standorten Friedrich-Krause-Ufer und Keplerstraße eingeschränkt.
Bis mindestens 30.04.2021 findet die Bedienung nur mit Termin statt.
Information on the address of this location
The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with a medical mask. Medical masks in this sense are surgical masks as well as masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Please note: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments. We kindly ask you – if possible – to come without accompanying persons to the appointment.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Residence permit for scientific staff and researchers
Granting and extension of a residence permit for the purpose of research
Directive (EU) 2016/801 states that a residence permit for the purpose of research will be granted if a valid hosting agreement or suitable contract is concluded with a research institution in the federal territory.
The residence permit is usually granted for the period of the research project, but for not longer than 3 years.
Residence permits are granted for 1 year respectively and then extended in the case of research institutions that are not recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) according to the Residence Act (AufenthG).
The residence permit also allows work as a teacher or in a self-employed capacity.
At the end of the research project, the residence permit is extended for 9 months. This enables the person to seek alternative gainful employment that reflects their qualifications.
For short residencies for research purposes lasting not longer than 1 year:
- Do you hold a valid residence permit for research purposes from another EU Member State according to Directive (EU) 2016/801? Would you like to conduct research at a research institution in Germany that will not involve you residing in the federal territory for longer than 180 days over a period of 360 days ? If so, you do not require a German residence permit for your short-term period of research.
- Do you hold a valid residence permit from another EU Member State according to Directive (EU) 2016/801 to work as a researcher, student, volunteer, au pair or intern? Would you like to conduct research at a research institution in Germany that will involve you residing in the federal territory for longer than 180 days but not more than one year ? If so, you will be granted a residence permit as a mobile researcher.
Employment at a research institution
Research institutions in the meaning of the Residence Act (AufenthG) are, in particular:
- research institutions that are recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF);
- companies or private sector institutions collaborating on the research project with a public sector institution or that continue research that began at a public sector institution; or
- spin-offs from a public sector institution.
Hosting agreement (Aufnahmevereinbarung) or a suitable contract
You may submit either a hosting agreement or a suitable contract. The hosting agreement contains all required information that would otherwise be included in a suitable contract.
Adequate salary for the research activities
A salary shall be deemed adequate if it is equivalent to at least two thirds of the reference amount pursuant to Section 18 subsection 2 German Social Code IV (SGB IV) (East). This is a monthly net salary of EUR 2,076.67 in 2021.
Declaration regarding assumption of costs
The research institution must in all cases agree in writing to accept the costs that public authorities incur for up to 6 months after the end of the hosting agreement or the contract. They include the costs of living for the foreign national during an unauthorised residence in an EU Member State, as well as for deportation.
A declaration of cost acceptance is not required for research institutions that
- are financed from public funds; or
- submitted a general declaration of cost acceptance to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) during their recognition procedure.
- In-person visit
- Main residence in Berlin during the residence for research purposes
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for first-time application
Hosting agreement or a suitable contract
The hosting agreement must be completed in German and may also include an English version.
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
- Lease and proof of the monthly rental costs
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Example: Hosting Agreement (Aufnahmevereinbarung)
- 100.00 euros for the initial issuance of the residence permit
- 93.00 euros for each extension of the residence permit
- A maximum of 28.80 euros for Turkish citizens (for both the first issuance as well as the for the extension of the residence permit)
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung)
- Example: confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Short-term mobility for researchers pursuant to section 18e of the Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz)
- Residence permit for mobile researchers pursuant to Section 18f Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz)
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.