Residence permit for scientific staff and researchers at the location LEA, Keplerstr.

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

Please note the information on our website about

Opening hours

By appointment only
By appointment only
By appointment only
By appointment only
By appointment only

Changes in opening hours

To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.

Additional appointments are made available for urgent matters:

  • For urgent cases the units B 1 and B 2 release daily short-term appointments online for Mondays and Tuesdays.
  • Furthermore, from the 2nd of May 2021 every Wednesday in the afternoon hundreds of fast lane appointments for the following Thursday at Keplerstraße will be released.

Information on the address of this location

The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.

Information for customers with an appointment

Wir bitten um Verständnis für die folgenden Hygiene-Maßnahmen:

  • Ab dem 08.12.2021 gilt die 3G-Regel. Ausnahmslos erhalten nur Personen Zutritt, die entweder gegen den Corona-Virus vollständig geimpft, genesen oder aktuell negativ auf eine Infektion mit dem Corona-Virus getestet sind.
  • Das Betreten unseres Dienstgebäudes ist grundsätzlich nur mit Masken der Standards KN95/N95 oder FFP2 gestattet.
  • Wenn Sie durch ein ärztliches Attest nachweisen, dass Sie von der Maskenpflicht befreit sind, können Sie unter Beachtung der sog. 3-G-Regel (geimpft, genesen oder getestet) vorsprechen.
  • Wenn möglich, kommen Sie bitte ohne Begleitpersonen zum Termin.

Payment options

You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.

Additional information

Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).

Residence permit for scientific staff and researchers

Granting and extension of a residence permit for the purpose of research

Directive (EU) 2016/801 states that a residence permit for the purpose of research will be granted if a valid hosting agreement or suitable contract is concluded with a research institution in the federal territory.
The residence permit is usually granted for the period of the research project, but for not longer than 3 years.
Residence permits are granted for 1 year respectively and then extended in the case of research institutions that are not recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) according to the Residence Act (AufenthG).

The residence permit also allows work as a teacher or in a self-employed capacity.

At the end of the research project, the residence permit is extended for 9 months. This enables the person to seek alternative gainful employment that reflects their qualifications.

For short residencies for research purposes lasting not longer than 1 year:

  • Do you hold a valid residence permit for research purposes from another EU Member State according to Directive (EU) 2016/801? Would you like to conduct research at a research institution in Germany that will not involve you residing in the federal territory for longer than 180 days over a period of 360 days ? If so, you do not require a German residence permit for your short-term period of research.

  • Do you hold a valid residence permit from another EU Member State according to Directive (EU) 2016/801 to work as a researcher, student, volunteer, au pair or intern? Would you like to conduct research at a research institution in Germany that will involve you residing in the federal territory for longer than 180 days but not more than one year ? If so, you will be granted a residence permit as a mobile researcher.
For more information about the terms and requirements for these two cases, refer to the section “More information”.


  • Employment at a research institution
    Research institutions in the meaning of the Residence Act (AufenthG) are, in particular:
    • research institutions that are recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF);
    • companies or private sector institutions collaborating on the research project with a public sector institution or that continue research that began at a public sector institution; or
    • spin-offs from a public sector institution.
  • Hosting agreement (Aufnahmevereinbarung) or a suitable contract
    You may submit either a hosting agreement or a suitable contract. The hosting agreement contains all required information that would otherwise be included in a suitable contract.
  • Adequate salary for the research activities
    A salary shall be deemed adequate if it is equivalent to at least two thirds of the reference amount pursuant to Section 18 subsection 2 German Social Code IV (SGB IV) (East). This is a monthly net salary of EUR 2,076.67 in 2021.
  • Declaration regarding assumption of costs
    The research institution must in all cases agree in writing to accept the costs that public authorities incur for up to 6 months after the end of the hosting agreement or the contract. They include the costs of living for the foreign national during an unauthorised residence in an EU Member State, as well as for deportation.

    A declaration of cost acceptance is not required for research institutions that
    • are financed from public funds; or
    • submitted a general declaration of cost acceptance to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) during their recognition procedure.
  • In-person visit
  • Main residence in Berlin during the residence for research purposes

Documents required

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
    Only required for first-time application
  • Hosting agreement or a suitable contract
    The hosting agreement must be completed in German and may also include an English version.
  • Health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
  • Lease and proof of the monthly rental costs
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


  • For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
  • For each extension: 93.00 euros
Turkish nationals (for first issuance as well as for extension)
  • Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Responsible authority

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.