Permanent settlement permit (general) at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

Opening hours

7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (In principle only by appointment)
7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (In principle only by appointment)
By appointment only
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (In principle only by appointment)
By appointment only

Changes in opening hours

To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.

Information for customers with an appointment

We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:

  • Entering our service building is only permitted with masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
  • We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
  • Please note: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments. We kindly ask you – if possible – to come without accompanying persons to the appointment.

Payment options

You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.

Additional information

  • Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
  • Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).

Permanent settlement permit (general)

Granting of an permanent settlement permit according to various legal bases

The following cases of residence are subject to different requirements:

  • persons recognised as being entitled to asylum and refugees
  • foreign graduates of German universities
  • family members of German nationals
  • skilled workers and EU Blue Card holders
  • children (older than 16)
  • self-employed persons
Please refer to the services listed in the grey column on the right (“Related Services”)


  • Application
    • Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
    • Your application can also be checked if you make an appointment to extend your residence permit. Please bring the required documents with you to the appointment.
  • Possession of a residence permit for 5 years
    The residence permit must be issued for
    • cohabitation with a foreign member of the family,
    • gainful employment,
    • independent or freelance activities, or
    • on humanitarian grounds.
    If your residence permit has been issued on humanitarian grounds, periods of asylum proceedings may be counted. The periods in which you only hold a certificate of suspension of deportation do not count as periods of stay.

    A permanent settlement permit cannot be issued to persons who hold a residence permit issued on humanitarian grounds pursuant to § 24, § 25 subs. 4 s. 1, § 25 subs. 4a s. 1 or § 25 subs. 4b s. 1 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) [German Residence Act].
  • Sufficient knowledge of German
    You must have an adequate command of the German language (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

    If you were in possession of either a residence permit or a residence authorisation on 31/12/2004, you only have to demonstrate basic knowledge of the German language (level A 1) to be granted a permanent settlement permit.
  • Basic knowledge of the legal and social system and living conditions in Germany
  • Secured means of support from own income
    You may not receive social assistance benefits from a Jobcenter or the Social Welfare Office (e.g. scale-II unemployment benefits or income support).

    The proofs of income may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partnership cohabitation.
  • Old-age provision
    You must furnish proof of having paid compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund for at least 60 months, or of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance company.

    The proofs of entitlement to pension schemes may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partner-ship cohabitation.
  • Sufficient health insurance
    Secured means of support include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
    • If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
    • If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
    • For more information, please read the Leaflet on the Health Insurance (under “Forms").
  • No criminal record
    Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
  • Main residence in Berlin

Documents required

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Proof of income
    Proof of sufficient resources to sustain oneself may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner (see “Prerequisites”).

    In the case of employees:
    • contract of employment
    • current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days),
    • salary statements for the last 6 months, and
    • certificate issued by the pension insurance institution

    In the case of freelancers and self-employed persons:
    • completed audit report together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register
    • The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
    • last tax assessment notice

    In the case of pensioners:
    • notice of pension entitlement

    In the case of disability or reduced ability to earn a living:
    • notice of pension entitlement on account of disability or reduced ability to earn a living, or
    • recent expert opinion by the German Federal Employment Agency [Bundesagentur für Arbeit], or
    • qualified medical certificate
  • Health insurance
    • If you are covered by statutory health insurance, a current confirmation of health insurance coverage from your provider, or
    • if you are insured with a private health insurance company, the policy and proof of contributions paid (e.g. statements of account).
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
    Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
  • Certificates showing participation in the integration course (if available)
    • “Integration Course Certificate” about the successful participation in the integration course
    • Certificate of the results obtained in the final tests
    The certificates facilitate the examination of the application. You can furnish proof of an adequate command of the German language as well as of your basic knowledge of the legal and social system, but also other things when appearing in person.
  • Old-age provision
    • Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
    • proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution
    The proofs of entitlement to pension schemes may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner.
  • Proof of the receipt of other benefits
    Do you receive any child benefit, child benefit supplement, parental benefit, care benefit or similar benefits?
    If yes, please submit proof thereof (e.g. notice).
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Bescheinigung über die Anmeldung der Wohnung oder
    • Mietvertrag und Einzugsbestätigung des Vermieters
    Mehr zum Thema im Abschnitt „Weiterführende Informationen“


  • For the issue of the permanent settlement permit: 113.00 euros.
  • If the application must be rejected: 56.50 euros.
For Turkish citizens
  • Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros for the issue, 11.40 euros if the application must be rejected
  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros for the issue, 18.50 euros if the application must be rejected

Responsible authority

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.