Residence permit for spouses and children of skilled workers, students, trainees, scientists and teachers

Issuing or extending a residence permit for

  • spouses,
  • same-sex life partners
  • or children
of foreigners who hold a residence permit and are either

  • working as a skilled worker (with an academic education or a vocational training)
  • starting or completing a degree or have successfully completed it,
  • completing a vocational training or an advanced training course,
  • staying in Germany in order to obtain recognition of their foreign professional qualification,
  • working in the fields of research and teaching as guest academics or as members of academic or technicalstaff, with an employment contract at a university or public research institution, or
  • are working as teachers at a state school, a state-approved private replacement school (Ersatzschule) or a recognized private supplementary school (Ergänzungsschule), or as German language teachers at a university.

Important note:
Does the relative with whom you want to live in Berlin have
  • a residence permit for a different reason, or
  • a permanent residence title, or
  • German citizenship?
Then please choose another service (see section "More information").


  • Main residence in Berlin
    A second home in Berlin is not sufficient.
  • Joint visit of the family
    You can only submit the application to us on site.
    Please book an appointment if possible.
  • Living in a family unit
    You live together in a common housing.

Documents required

  • Application form
    See the “Forms” section.
    Please fill in one form for each person who wishes to apply for a residence permit.
    (not necessary for the extension of the residence permit)
  • Valid passport
  • current biometric photo
    The photograph must be current. It must also fulfill the photograph requirements for electronic passports.
  • To join your spouse: marriage certificate
    (not necessary for the extension of the residence permit)
  • To join your same sex civil partner: partnership certificate
    (not necessary for the extension of the residence permit)
  • To join your parents: birth certificate
    (not necessary for the extension of the residence permit)
  • In certain circumstances: proof of custody
    If you want to join one of your parents in Berlin, and the other parent does not live in Germany.
    (not necessary for the extension of the residence permit)
  • For all foreign documents: translation, possibly with an additional apostil or confirmation of authenticity (issued by a German consular official)
    Bitte legen Sie von allen ausländischen Urkunden eine beglaubigte Übersetzung vor.
    Je nach Herkunftsland benötigen Sie zu der Urkunde auch eine Apostille oder Legalisation.
  • Lease that states the current rental cost
  • Health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance.
    Please read the leaflet for more information.
  • Proof that the livelihood of the family is / has been secured
    • Employees: Employment contract, current certificate of employment (not older than 14 days), last 6 salary slips
    • Students and trainees: e.g. bank statements of the last six months / scholarship / blocked account (Sperrkonto) at a German Bank / submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form / other proofs of income
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


For the first issuance of the residence permit:
  • Adults: 100.00 euros
  • Minors: 50.00 euros
  • Turkish citizens: a maximum of 37.00 euros
For the extension of the residence permit:
  • Adults: 93.00 euros
  • Minors: 46.50 euros
  • Turkish citizens: a maximum of 37.00 euros

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Responsible authorities

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.