Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with vocational training at the location LEA, Keplerstr.
Current information on this location
Currently, the number of hits on our online appointment scheduling has increased massively. Unfortunately, this can mean that the service is temporarily unavailable. A maintenance page will then be displayed. Please note our
Changes in opening hours
- Zur weiteren Eindämmung des Corona-Infektionsgeschehens (Lockdown) wird die Bedienung an unseren Standorten Friedrich-Krause-Ufer und Keplerstraße eingeschränkt. Bis mindestens 28.03.2021 findet die Bedienung nur mit Termin statt.
- Am 08.03.2021 ist wegen des Feiertags (Internationaler Frauentag) geschlossen.
Information on the address of this location
The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with a medical mask. Medical masks in this sense are surgical masks as well as masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments.
- We ask accompanying people including German spouses, whose attendance was requested, for their understanding: Due to the current pandemic we cannot grant you access.
- An exception will be made for lawyers with ID, legal guardians with official ID and sign language interpreters who accompany the customer. Children below the age of 14 years may accompany parents if no alternative supervision can be arranged.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with vocational training
Issuance or extension of a temporary residence permit for qualified skilled workers without an academic qualification who wish to engage in qualified employment for which they are qualified due to their vocational training.
The residence permit is issued for up to four years. If the employment contract has a shorter term or if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is limited to a shorter period, in an individual case the temporary residence permit will be issued for less than four years and extended.
Employment or concrete job offer
There should already be an employment contract or at least a draft.
Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
Occupation practice permit
If a permit is required for professional practice (e.g. for nurses), the person in question must prove they hold that permit or that it has been promised before the temporary residence permit is issued.
Equivalence of the qualification
For the skilled worker’s temporary residence permit the person in question must hold a German professional qualification following training lasting at least two years or hold an equivalent foreign professional qualification.
As a rule, a foreign professional qualification must be verified by a recognition body and its equivalence established.
More information on this subject can be found in the “More information” section
An adequate retirement pension scheme (only if you are over 45 years of age)
For the issuance of the temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker, as a rule persons over the age of 45 must have an adequate retirement pension scheme.
- The salary must correspond to at least 55 per cent of the annual calculation limit in the general pension insurance scheme. This currently corresponds to a monthly income of at least €3,905.00 gross.
- The salary may be lower if an adequate retirement pension scheme has already been secured from other public or private sources.
- Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
An employment relationship in Germany must be established. Business premises in Germany are required.
Proof of qualification as a qualified skilled worker with academic education
Supporting documents (original) confirming
- completed German vocational training lasting a minimum of two years, or
- a foreign professional qualification recognised as being equivalent (recognition decision)
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for the first application.
Occupation practice permit
Only if required (see 'Prerequisites')
Lease or proof of home ownership
Rental cost / expenses for property
Proof of the current rent (e.g. current account statement)
Certificate of employment (Only in case of extension)
Certificate from the employer regarding the duration of the unfinished employment not older than 14 days)
Salary slips: If the residence permit is extended for further employment with the same employer
Documents on the net earnings of the first 2 and the last 2 months
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer (The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please inform your insurer that you need the certificate for a residence permit for employment.)
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- For Turkish nationals a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.