Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with vocational training

A skilled worker with vocational training is issued a residence permit to carry out any qualified employment.

The residence permit is issued for up to four years. If the employment contract has a shorter term or if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is limited to a shorter period, in an individual case the temporary residence permit will be issued for less than four years and extended.


  • Employment or concrete job offer
    There should already be an employment contract or at least a draft.
  • Employment in Germany
    An employment relationship in Germany must be established. In addition, the employer must have a place of business in Germany.
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
    As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
  • Occupation practice permit
    If a permit is required for professional practice (e.g. for nurses), the person in question must prove they hold that permit or that it has been promised before the temporary residence permit is issued.
  • Equivalence of the qualification
    For the skilled worker’s temporary residence permit the person in question must hold a German professional qualification following training lasting at least two years or hold an equivalent foreign professional qualification.
    As a rule, a foreign professional qualification must be verified by a recognition body and its equivalence established.
    More information on this subject can be found in the “More information” section
  • An adequate retirement pension scheme (only if you are over 45 years of age)
    For the issuance of the temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker, as a rule persons over the age of 45 must have an adequate retirement pension scheme.
    • The salary must correspond to at least 55 per cent of the annual calculation limit in the general pension insurance scheme. For the year 2024, this corresponds to a monthly gross income of at least 4,152.50 euros.
    • The salary may be lower if an adequate retirement pension scheme has already been secured from other public or private sources.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • Personal appearance by appointment is required

Documents required

  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
    Only required for the first application.
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Employment contract (original)
  • Proof of qualification as a qualified skilled worker with academic education
    Supporting documents (original) confirming
    • completed German vocational training lasting a minimum of two years, or
    • a foreign professional qualification recognised as being equivalent (recognition decision)
    More on the topic in the section "More information"
  • Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
  • Occupation practice permit
    Only if required (see 'Prerequisites')
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
  • Rental cost / expenses for property
    Proof of the current rent (e.g. current account statement)
  • Certificate of employment (Only in case of extension)
    Certificate from the employer regarding the duration of the unfinished employment not older than 14 days)
  • Salary slips: If the residence permit is extended for further employment with the same employer
    Documents on the net earnings of the first 2 and the last 2 months
  • Health insurance
    in the case of statutory health insurance:
    • electronic health card with photograph
    • current confirmation of the health insurance
    in the case of a private health insurance scheme:
    • proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
    • certificate issued by the insurer (The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please inform your insurer that you need the certificate for a residence permit for employment.)
    More on the topic in the section "More information"
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
    (See section "More information")


  • For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
  • For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
  • For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
Turkish nationals (for first issuance as well as for extension)
  • Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros

Average time to process request

A personal visit six to eight weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.

Für Sie zuständig

Bitte wählen Sie für eine Terminvereinbarung einen Standort aus


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.