Residence permit for in-service training at the location LEA, Keplerstr.
Current information on this location
- Bitte beachten Sie die Informationen auf unserer Website zur Bedienung ab dem 31.05.2021.
Changes in opening hours
To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.
Additional appointments are made available for urgent matters:
- For urgent cases the units B 1 and B 2 release daily short-term appointments online for Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Furthermore, from the 2nd of May 2021 every Wednesday in the afternoon hundreds of fast lane appointments for the following Thursday at Keplerstraße will be released.
Information on the address of this location
The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Please note: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments. We kindly ask you – if possible – to come without accompanying persons to the appointment.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
Residence permit for in-service training
For the purpose of in-service training a temporary residence permit may be issued if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
In particular, the temporary residence permit is possible for foreign doctors for:
- training as a specialist doctor lasting several years if the training complies with the training regulations of the Land chambers of medicine,
- other medical training within the framework of a government grant programme, or
- training within the framework of a training plan verified by the Federal Employment Agency.
The temporary residence permit is generally granted for the entire duration of the training plus the duration of the language course. Following successfully completed training the temporary residence permit may be extended as a residence permit for jobseekers or for gainful employment.
Completed vocational training
- At least two-year workplace or school-based vocational training,
- higher level school-based vocational training (for example after the Abitur secondary school leaving examination) or
- education at a polytechnic or university
Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
Permission for in-service training requires the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
Proof of Income
You must have monthly funds at your disposal corresponding to the amount provided for in Articles 12, 13 and 13a par. 1 of the German Education Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz – BAföG). Currently that amount is 836.00 euros.
Sufficient health insurance
Proof of secured subsistence also includes sufficient health insurance cover. Those covered by statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must pay attention to the type and scope of their health insurance.
- If you are under 30 years of age: Please read the information in the leaflet “Sufficient health insurance cover for students”. The information in it then also applies for residence for educational purposes.
- If you are over 30 years of age: Please note the information in the “Health insurance” leaflet.
- Main residence in Berlin
- A personal interview is required
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
- Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
- Scholarship or employment contract
References concerning previous vocational training
For example a higher education certificate or a training certificate
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer
Proof of your residence
for example through
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (see section "More information") or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (See section "Forms")
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Example: confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.