Residence permit for in-service training

For the purpose of in-service training a temporary residence permit may be issued if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.

In particular, the temporary residence permit is possible for foreign doctors for:
  • training as a specialist doctor lasting several years if the training complies with the training regulations of the Land chambers of medicine,
  • other medical training within the framework of a government grant programme, or
  • training within the framework of a training plan verified by the Federal Employment Agency.

The purpose of residence of in-service training also includes attending a preparatory occupation-related German language course in accordance with the German Language Skills Support Regulation (Deutschsprachförderverordnung) for a maximum of six months.
The residence permit entitles you to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week (independent of further training in the company). Self-employment is not permitted.

The temporary residence permit is generally granted for the entire duration of the training plus the duration of the language course. Following successfully completed training the temporary residence permit may be extended as a residence permit for jobseekers or for gainful employment.


  • Completed vocational training
    • At least two-year workplace or school-based vocational training,
    • higher level school-based vocational training (for example after the Abitur secondary school leaving examination) or
    • education at a polytechnic or university
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
    Permission for in-service training requires the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Proof of Income
    You must be able to support yourself during the in-service training from your own means or from third parties. At least 830.00 euros per month must be available for this (current amount in the year 2024).
  • Sufficient health insurance
    Proof of secured subsistence also includes sufficient health insurance cover. Those covered by statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must pay attention to the type and scope of their health insurance.
    • If you are under 30 years of age: Please read the information in the leaflet “Sufficient health insurance cover for students”. The information in it then also applies for residence for educational purposes.
    • If you are over 30 years of age: Please note the information in the “Health insurance” leaflet.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • Personal appearance by appointment is required

Documents required

  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
  • Scholarship or employment contract
  • References concerning previous vocational training
    For example a higher education certificate or a training certificate
  • Health insurance
    in the case of statutory health insurance:
    • electronic health card with photograph
    • current confirmation of the health insurance
    in the case of a private health insurance scheme:
    • proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
    • certificate issued by the insurer
  • Proof of your residence
    for example through
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence (see section "More information") or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (See section "Forms")


  • For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
  • For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
  • For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
Turkish nationals (for first issuance as well as for extension)
  • Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.

Für Sie zuständig

Bitte wählen Sie für eine Terminvereinbarung einen Standort aus