Permanent settlement permit for self-employed persons
In particular, in order to be eligible, you
- must have established your enterprise successfully, and
- the income generated must be sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of your family.
There is no legal claim for obtaining a permanent settlement permit.
If you are a freelancer, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit at the earliest after 5 years. For more information please refer to the section “More information”.
A 3-year residence permit for an entrepreneurial activity (not a freelance activity)
Your residence permit must have been issued pursuant to § 21 subs. 1 or subs. 2a AufenthG for self-employed entrepreneurial activities.
If you are a freelancer and your residence permit has been issued pursuant to § 21 subs. 5 AufenthG, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit at the earliest after 5 years and subject to other requirements. For more information, please refer to the section “More information”.
The income generated by your entrepreneurial activities must be sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of your family. Income generated by members of your family or profits from capital may not be considered.
Sufficient health insurance
Secured means of support include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
- If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
- If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
The following applies to 2024:
Perspectively, at the age of 67, you must have
- either a monthly pension of 1,503.34 euros (for at least 12 years)
- or an asset amount of 216,481.00 euros.
No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
- Main residence in Berlin
Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
Valid passport, together with your residence permit
Your residence permit must have been issued pursuant to § 21 subs. 1 or subs. 2a AufenthG.
If you are a freelancer, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit at the earliest after 5 years.
For more information, please refer to the section “More information”.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Prüfungsbericht" (filled out)
Together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register.
The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
Lease or proof of home ownership
Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
Please submit either the insurance card issued by your statutory health insurance, or the insurance policy issued by a private health insurance company.
You can provide evidence of adequate retirement benefits (see section "Prerequisites") by:
- a private pension or life insurance,
- own assets,
- acquired pension rights or
- operating assets
Integration course certificates
- "Zertifikat Integrationskurs" (Integration Course Certificate) about the successful participation in the integration course or
- Certificate of the results obtained in the final tests of the Integration Course
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
In principle, the obligation to pay the processing fees arises as soon as an application is received. A repayment is not possible even if the application is withdrawn if the substantive processing has already begun (examination of the necessary residence times and/or examination of the documents sent or sending an appointment for an interview). The fees are:
- EUR 124.00 (EUR 62.00 upon receipt of application and EUR 62.00 upon grant)
- EUR 22.80: up to the age of 24 (EUR 11.40 upon receipt of application and EUR 11.40 upon grant)
- EUR 37.00: from the age of 24 (EUR 18.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 18.50 upon grant)
- Permanent settlement permit (general)
- Permanent settlement permit for children (aged over 16)
- Permanent settlement permit for EU Blue Card holders
- Permanent settlement permit for family members of German citizens
- Permanent settlement permit for persons recognised as being entitled to asylum and refugees
- Permanent settlement permit for qualified skilled workers
- Residence title for former Germans