Residence permit in cases of hardship - Extension at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
Current information on this location
Currently, the number of hits on our online appointment scheduling has increased massively. Unfortunately, this can mean that the service is temporarily unavailable. A maintenance page will then be displayed. Please note our
Changes in opening hours
- To further contain the corona infection the service at our locations will be restricted. For the time being until March 7th, 2021, service will only take place by appointment.
- We are closed on March 8th, 2021 due to the public holiday (International Women's Day).
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with a medical mask. Medical masks in this sense are surgical masks as well as masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments.
- We ask accompanying people including German spouses, whose attendance was requested, for their understanding: Due to the current pandemic we cannot grant you access.
- An exception will be made for lawyers with ID, legal guardians with official ID and sign language interpreters who accompany the customer. Children below the age of 14 years may accompany parents if no alternative supervision can be arranged.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Residence permit in cases of hardship - Extension
Extension of a temporary residence permit issued by the Senator for the Interior and Sports upon petition by the Berlin Hardship Commission.
- Possession of a valid temporary residence permit according to Section 23a Residence Act.
Conditions for the extension are satisfied (in the individual case)
Extension of the temporary residence permit may have been made conditional on the satisfaction of certain requirements, e.g. the assurance of subsistence through economic activity, the start of vocational training or certain integration measures.
The details shall be set out in the letter from the Senate Department for the Interior and Sports, in which the issue of a temporary residence permit pursuant to Section 23a Residence Act is ordered due to hardship.
Main residence in Berlin
The Berlin Immigration Office shall not be able to extend the temporary residence permit if it was issued by another foreigners office upon condition that the person take up residence within the jurisdiction of that foreigners office.
- A personal interview is required
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of livelihood (refer to Prerequisites)
All documents must be submitted in original:
- For Employees: Employment contract, current certificate of employment (not older than 14 days), all salary statements since the granting of the residence permit
- For self-employed persons: Documents on an income from self-employment
- Social benefits (also supplementary): Current proofs of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act, child benefit and so on
Proof of efforts to integrate (refer to Prerequisites)
e.g. current certificate of school attendance or a vocational training, apprenticeship contract, certificates showing participation in the integration course and so on
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Adults: 96.00 euros
- Minors: 46,50 euros
- Turkish citizens: 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.
S-Bahn S 41/42 (Westhafen)
U-Bahn U 9 (Amrumer Str.)
Bus 123, 142, M27