Residence permit in cases of hardship - Extension
Extension of a temporary residence permit issued by the Senator for the Interior and Sports upon petition by the Berlin Hardship Commission.
- Possession of a valid temporary residence permit according to Section 23a Residence Act.
Conditions for the extension are satisfied (in the individual case)
Extension of the temporary residence permit may have been made conditional on the satisfaction of certain requirements, e.g. the assurance of subsistence through economic activity, the start of vocational training or certain integration measures.
The details shall be set out in the letter from the Senate Department for the Interior and Sports, in which the issue of a temporary residence permit pursuant to Section 23a Residence Act is ordered due to hardship.
Main residence in Berlin
Wurde die Aufenthaltserlaubnis durch eine andere Ausländerbehörde erteilt und mit der Auflage versehen, den Wohnsitz im Bereich der anderen Ausländerbehörde zu nehmen, kann die Aufenthaltserlaubnis durch das Landesamt für Einwanderung nicht verlängert werden.
- A personal interview is required
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of livelihood (refer to Prerequisites)
- For Employees: Employment contract, current certificate of employment (not older than 14 days), all salary statements since the granting of the residence permit
- For self-employed persons: Documents on an income from self-employment
- Social benefits (also supplementary): Current proofs of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act, child benefit and so on
Proof of efforts to integrate (refer to Prerequisites)
e.g. current certificate of school attendance or a vocational training, apprenticeship contract, certificates showing participation in the integration course and so on
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Adults: 96.00 euros
- Minors: 46,50 euros
- Free of charge when presenting current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act.
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
- Until the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.