Extension of a temporary residence permit issued by the Senator for the Interior and Sports upon petition by the Berlin Hardship Commission.
Possession of a valid temporary residence permit according to Section 23a Residence Act.
Conditions for the extension are satisfied (in the individual case)
Extension of the temporary residence permit may have been made conditional on the satisfaction of certain requirements, e.g. the assurance of subsistence through economic activity, the start of vocational training or certain integration measures.
The details shall be set out in the letter from the Senate Department for the Interior and Sports, in which the issue of a temporary residence permit pursuant to Section 23a Residence Act is ordered due to hardship.
Main residence in Berlin
The Berlin Foreigners Office shall not be able to extend the temporary residence permit if it was issued by another foreigners office upon condition that the person take up residence within the jurisdiction of that foreigners office.
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of livelihood (refer to Prerequisites)
All documents must be submitted in original:
- For Employees: Employment contract, current certificate of employment (not older than 14 days), all salary statements since the granting of the residence permit
- For self-employed persons: Documents on an income from self-employment
- Social benefits (also supplementary): Current proofs of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act, child benefit and so on
Proof of efforts to integrate (refer to Prerequisites)
e.g. current certificate of school attendance or a vocational training, apprenticeship contract, certificates showing participation in the integration course and so on
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when extending the residence permit.
- Adults: 49.00 to 96.00 euros
- Minors: 24.50 to 48.00 euros
- Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Free of charge when presenting current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act.
Average time to process request
To ensure timely renewal of your current residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten