Residence permit to start an internship
Issuance of a residence permit for purpose of starting an internship
- Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
- Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
- Internship contract
- Proof of a secure livelihood
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- 100.00 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
- Until the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.
- Residence permit for attending a language course
- Residence permit for job-seeking qualified skilled workers – Issuance
- Residence permit for spouses and children of holders of an EU Blue Card
- Residence permit for spouses and children of skilled workers, students, trainees, scientists and teachers
- Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens
- Residence permit for study preparation
- Residence permit for the purpose of attending the Working-Holiday- and Youth Mobility-Programme
- Residence permit to start a job as an au pair
- Residency for employment as a visiting scholar or academic staff