Residence permit to start a job as an au pair
Issuance of a residence permit to start a job as an au pair for the maximum of one year.
Age between 18 and 26 years
Applicants must not be older than 26 years.
- Have a basic knowledge of the German language
- Have not previously worked as an au pair in Germany
German as a native language in the host family
An au pair employment may be authorized if German is spoken as mother tongue in the host family .
Otherwise it is only possible when the employee does not come from the same country as the host parents.
- Main residence in Berlin
- A personal interview is required
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
- Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
- Au pair contract with the host family
Form "Fragebogen Au-pair"
To be filled out by the host family
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Fragebogen Au-pair (questionnaire)
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- 100.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
- Leaflet by the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit): Information for au-pairs in German families
- Leaflet by the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit): Information for German host families
- Information and forms by the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Federal Employment Agency)
Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.
- Residence permit for attending a language course
- Residence permit for job-seeking qualified skilled workers – Issuance
- Residence permit for spouses and children of holders of an EU Blue Card
- Residence permit for spouses and children of skilled workers, students, trainees, scientists and teachers
- Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens
- Residence permit for study preparation
- Residence permit for the purpose of attending the Working-Holiday- and Youth Mobility-Programme
- Residence permit to start an internship
- Residency for employment as a visiting scholar or academic staff