Residency for employment as a visiting scholar or academic staff
Employment at a public university or research institution
A residence permit can be issued if you want to work as a teacher or researcher and are a visiting scholar or academic / technical staff member with an employment contract at a university or public research institute.
- Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
- Current employment contract or extension of the employment contract
Current certificate of employment
Not older than 14 days
the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
Only required for first-time application
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Information on adequate health insurance
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when extending the residence permit.
From 1 September 2017 they are:
- For the initial issuance: 56.00 to 100.00 euros
- For each extension: 49.00 to 96.00 euros
- For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.
- Residence permit for attending a language course
- Residence permit for job-seeking qualified skilled workers – Issuance
- Residence permit for spouses and children of holders of an EU Blue Card
- Residence permit for spouses and children of skilled workers, students, trainees, scientists and teachers
- Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens
- Residence permit for study preparation
- Residence permit for the purpose of attending the Working-Holiday- and Youth Mobility-Programme
- Residence permit to start a job as an au pair
- Residence permit to start an internship