Permanent settlement permit for qualified skilled workers at the location LEA, Zum Business Immigration Service (BIS)

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

In collaboration with IHK Berlin and Berlin Partner, our Business Immigration Service (BIS) offers Berlin businesses an outstanding relocation service for foreign professionals and executives.

Through the BIS, Berlin businesses, foreign investors and start-ups, managers, highly skilled professionals and their families can quickly and easily clarify any residency issues and can be put in touch directly with the person responsible for dealing with them.

Please note:

  • The service is only available to registered customers and after arranging an appointment with us.
  • Therefore we are unfortunately not able to help walk-in customers without an appointment.
  • You can find more information about the service of the Business Immigration Service on our website.

Opening hours

No information available.

Information on the address of this location

The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to: Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.

Payment options

Payment cannot be made at this location.

Permanent settlement permit for qualified skilled workers

If your residence permit has been issued for employment as a qualified skilled worker, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit after 4 years.

If you have completed vocational training or a degree in Germany, this is already possible after 2 years of employment as a qualified skilled worker.

Do you have an EU Blue Card?
Then other requirements apply. Please inform yourself in the service "Permanent settlement permit for EU Blue Card holders" (see section "More information").


  • Application in writing
    Please file an application with the Berlin Immigration Office. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
    Please enclose with your application a copy of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”.
  • 4 years holding a residence permit for employment as a qualified skilled worker
    • You must have had a residence permit for employment as a qualified skilled worker with a professional qualification, an academic degree or in research for at least 4 years (pursuant to section 18a, 18b or 18d Aufenthaltsgesetz).
    • The minimum time is reduced to 2 years if you have successfully completed vocational training or a degree in Germany.
  • You are still employed as a qualified skilled worker
  • Old-age provision
    • You must furnish proof of having paid compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund for at least 48 months, or of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution.
    • If you have successfully completed vocational training or a degree in Germany, 24 months are sufficient.
  • Sufficient knowledge of German
    Adequate command of the German language in accordance with level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (GERR).
  • Secured means of subsistance including health insurance
    Secured means of subsistance include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
    • If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
    • If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
    For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance" (section "Forms").
  • No criminal record
    Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
  • Main residence in Berlin

Documents required

  • Valid passport, together with your residence permit
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung einer Niederlassungserlaubnis"
  • In case of vocational training or studies in Germany: proof of the degree achieved
  • Proof of income
    • Employment contract
    • Supporting documents on the net earnings from the last 6 months
    • Current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days)
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
    Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
  • Old-age provision
    • Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
    • Proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution.
  • Health insurance
    Please submit either the insurance card issued by your statutory health insurance, or the insurance policy issued by a private health insurance company.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
    More on the topic in the section "More information".


  • For the issue of the permanent settlement permit: 113.00 euros.
  • If the application must be rejected: 56.50 euros.
  • For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros.

Responsible authority

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.