Permanent settlement permit for foreign graduates of German universities

If you

  • have successfully graduated from a university in Germany, and
  • have been gainfully employed or self-employed for at least 2 years subject to a residence permit,
you will be issued a permanent settlement permit upon application.


  • Application in writing
    Please file an application with the Foreigners Registration Office. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
    Please enclose with your application a copy of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”.
  • Degree certificate awarded by a German institute of higher education
    • e.g. Bachelor, Master or PhD degree
    • from a state or state recognised or comparable institute of higher education
  • Possession of a residence permit for at least 2 years
    Periods are counted in which you were issued a residence permit allowing you to be gainfully employet or self-employed
  • Adequate gainful employment or self-employment
    Your gainful employment or self-employment must be proportionate to the degree obtained.
    • If you are gainfully employed: The employment must presume a qualified professional education.
    • If you are self-employed: Your activities must be based on the knowledge acquired during your studies.
  • Old-age provision
    You must have paid contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund for at least 24 months. Acceptable are as well contributions paid for entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution.
  • Secured means of subsistance including health insurance
    Secured means of support include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
    • If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
    • If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
    For more information, please read the Leaflet on the Health Insurance (under “Forms").
  • No criminal record
    Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
  • Sufficient knowledge of German
    Adequate command of the German language in accordance with level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (GERR).
  • Main residence in Berlin

Documents required

  • Valid passport, together with your residence permit
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Form Antrag auf Erteilung einer Niederlassungserlaubnis
  • Proof of the German university degree
  • Proof of income
    In the case of employees:
    • contract of employment
    • current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days) and
    • salary statements for the last 6 months

    In the case of freelancers and self-employed persons:
    • completed audit report together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register
    • The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
    • last tax assessment notice
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
    Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
  • Old-age provision
    • Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
    • proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution.
  • Health insurance
    Please submit either the insurance card issued by your statutory health insurance, or the insurance policy issued by a private health insurance company.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


  • For the issue of the permanent settlement permit: 113.00 euros.
  • If the application must be rejected: 56.50 euros.
  • For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros.