Permanent settlement permit for qualified skilled workers
If your residence permit has been issued for employment as a qualified skilled worker, you may be granted a permanent settlement permit after 4 years.
If you have completed vocational training or a degree in Germany, this is already possible after 2 years of employment as a qualified skilled worker.
Do you have an EU Blue Card?
Then other requirements apply. Please inform yourself in the service "Permanent settlement permit for EU Blue Card holders" (see section "More information").
4 years holding a residence permit for employment as a qualified skilled worker
- You must have had a residence permit for employment as a qualified skilled worker with a professional qualification, an academic degree or in research for at least 4 years (pursuant to section 18a, 18b or 18d Aufenthaltsgesetz).
- The minimum time is reduced to 2 years if you have successfully completed vocational training or a degree in Germany.
You are still employed as a qualified skilled worker
- You must furnish proof of having paid compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund for at least 48 months, or of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution.
- If you have successfully completed vocational training or a degree in Germany, 24 months are sufficient.
Sufficient knowledge of German
Adequate command of the German language in accordance with level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (GERR).
Secured means of subsistance including health insurance
Secured means of subsistance include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
- If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
- If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
Main residence in Berlin
Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
- Valid passport, together with your residence permit
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
In case of vocational training or studies in Germany: proof of the degree achieved
Proof of income
- Employment contract
- Supporting documents on the net earnings from the last 6 months
- Current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days)
Lease or proof of home ownership
Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
- Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
- Proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution.
Please submit either the insurance card issued by your statutory health insurance, or the insurance policy issued by a private health insurance company.
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- EUR 113.00 (EUR 56.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 56.50 upon grant)
- EUR 22.80: up to the age of 24 (EUR 11.40 upon receipt of application and EUR 11.40 upon grant)
- EUR 37.00: from the age of 24 (EUR 18.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 18.50 upon grant)