Permanent settlement permit for children (aged over 16) at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
Cash and girocard (with PIN) (formerly EC card) can be used for payment at the location.
- Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
- Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Permanent settlement permit for children (aged over 16)
Granting of a permanent settlement permit for foreigners
- who were born in the federal territory
- or who were minors when they moved to the federal territory with or to join their parents,
- have possessed a temporary residence permit for at least five years, and
- have reached the age of 16.
At least 16 years old
A child does not become eligible to obtain a permanent settlement permit until it has reached the age of 16.
Foreigners who have reached the age of majority may also receive a permanent settlement permit on this basis, provided they travelled to the federal territory to join their family and the first issue of a temporary residence permit was before they reached the age of 18.
5 years in possession of a valid residence permit
The residence permit must have been issued for family reasons and must have been available for at least five years without interruption.
Minors must already have the residence permit at the age of 16 for 5 years.
Education or secure livelihood
The child must be completing a vocational training course that will lead to a recognised school, professional or academic qualification.
This applies in case or ordinary and regular
- school attendance,
- company apprenticeship,
- degree course.
Where the child is not completing a vocational training course, its subsistence must be ensured without public benefits according to the Social Code II or XI (unemployment benefits II or social welfare).
No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
- Main residence in Berlin
Personal appearance together with the parents
- Children aged between 16 and 17 are not permitted to place their applications themselves. They must therefore be accompanied by at least one legal guardian.
- In most cases the legal guardians will be the parents with joint custody rights or one parent with sole custody rights.
- Only children that have reached the age of majority (aged 18) are permitted to come alone.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of secured livelihood (original)
Where the child is not completing school, vocational or academic education, proof that its subsistence is ensured must be submitted, for instance:
- contract of employment, certification from the employer or ongoing employment (not older than 14 days) as well as payslips since the last issue of a temporary residence permit, or
- documents confirming income from self-employment.
The following must be submitted
- for schoolchildren: all school reports and a current certificate of attendance
- for apprentices: the apprenticeship contract, apprenticeship reports and a current certificate of attendance from the training institution
- for students: a current certificate of enrolment and proof of progress (e.g. passed intermediate examinations, credit points or similar).
If necessary: written power of proxy from one parent.
Where the parents have joint custody rights, they must attend the appointment together and jointly place the application for their minor-age child (refer to the section "Requirements").
Where one parent with custody rights is unable to attend the appointment, he or she must issue a power of proxy for the other parent with custody rights. This power of proxy allows the other parent to apply for the permanent residence permit on behalf of their mutual child.
- EUR 55.00: for minors (EUR 27.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 27.50 upon grant)
- EUR 113.00: for adults (EUR 56.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 56.50 upon grant)
- EUR 22.80: up to the age of 24 (EUR 11.40 upon receipt of application and EUR 11.40 upon grant)
- EUR 37.00: from the age of 24 (EUR 18.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 18.50 upon grant)