Residence permit for the purpose of freelance or self-employment - extension at the location Ausländerbehörde Berlin, Standort Friedrich-Krause-Ufer

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

  • Am Standort Friedrich-Krause-Ufer werden die untenstehenden Dienstleistungen erbracht.

  • Für andere Anliegen (insbesondere für die Blaue Karte EU, Studierende, Wissenschaftler, Auszubildende, Au-Pairs, Teilnehmer an Working-Holiday-Programmen, Verlängerung von Schengen-Visa) ist ab dem 04.07.2016 der andere Standort der Ausländerbehörde in der Keplerstraße 2 in Berlin-Charlottenburg zuständig.

Opening hours

07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
By appointment only
10:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.

Payment options

You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.

Additional information

Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).

Residence permit for the purpose of freelance or self-employment - extension

Extension of a residence permit which has been issued for the purposes of self-employed or freelance work


  • (still valid) residence permit
    The residence permit must still be valid and issued in accordance with section 21 AufenthG.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • A personal interview is required
    The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.

Documents required

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Audit report form (residence permit in accordance with section 21 para. 1 AufenthG)
    The audit report form must be prepared by a tax consultant, auditor or a lawyer with relevant professional experience (e.g. a specialist lawyer for tax law) and should bear an official stamp.
    Proof of a secure livelihood for entrepreneurs and those self-employed and the economic success of the entrepreneurial occupation is produced by means of the audit report.
  • Proof of a secure livelihood (residence permit in accordance with section 21 para. 5 AufenthG)
    Freelancers (e.g. artists or language instructors) are not required to provide an audit report, but need to provide proof of a secure livelihood through their occupation with other documents, e.g. through tax assessments or bank account statements that show a regular inflow, invoices from galleries and auction houses and the like.
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
    Original and copy
  • Health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information for students on adequate health insurance".
  • Adequate pension plan
    Only if you are above the age of 45:

    An offer from a private pension insurer must be submitted which guarantees a monthly pension of 1,109.88 euros after the age of 67 (for at least 12 years) or guarantees an asset amount of 159,823 euros. Alternatively, evidence can also be provided from currently available assets.

    Proof of a pension plan is not required for these nationalities: Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Turkey and the United States of America

    Note: An adequate pension is always necessary for the issuance of a permanent residence permit - regardless of age or nationality.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when extending the residence permit:

  • 50.00 to 110.00 euros
  • maximum of 28.80 euros for Turkish citizens

Average time to process request

To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.