Residence permit for vocational training
Granting and extension of a temporary residence permit for school education or qualified vocational training in a company, if the vocational training leads to a recognized qualification.
- The temporary residence permit entitles the holder to engage in (depending on the type of training) an occupation lasting no more than 10 hours per week. Self-employment is not permitted.
- In most cases it will not be possible to grant any other temporary residence permit during the training, except where the person has a legal entitlement.
- The temporary residence permit can be extended for up to 12 months following completion of the vocational training. This time shall be used to find a place of employment. The position must reflect the professional qualifications acquired.
Qualified vocational training
The vocational training must lead to a professional qualification that is recognised by the state or is regulated according to a comparable system.
Sufficient language skills
The language competency required for the completion of the vocational training must be assured. In most cases this will mean sufficient proficiency in the German language equivalent to level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Exceptions are only permitted if the training institution
- provides individual language development courses as part of the training or
- confirms that language skills are sufficient for the completion of qualified vocational training.
For company training: Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
The residence permit for company-based vocational training can generally only be issued if the Federal Employment Agency has given its consent.
For vocational training in a school or theoretical setting: recognised educational institution
The training can be completed at vocational colleges or private sector educational establishments. The course of training must not be designed exclusively to suit nationals of a particular country.
Proof of Income
Subsistence must be ensured by own means or a commitment by a third party for the duration of the training. 836.00 euros must be available as monthly income.
If there are fees for the training, the minimum monthly amount increases accordingly.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for first-time application
For company training: Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" - filled out by the company
please filled out (see section "Forms")
For company training: Contract about the vocational training with entry in the apprenticeship role ("Lehrlingsrolle"),
possibly contract for upstream vocational language courses
For vocational training in a school or theoretical setting: Contract with school
It is also sufficient to submit a current admission decision within the meaning of the applicable training and examination ordinance (Ausbildungs- und Prüfungsverordnung), provided this results in the professional qualification and the duration of the training.
Proof of livelihood (original)
As proof of a secure livelihood during the training (see section "Prerequisites") suffice:
- own funds, such as income from the vocational training,
- Escrow account at a German Bank,
- Submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form (Verpflichtungserklärung),
- Notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the training with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months or
- Approval of benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.