Anyone intending to install equipment with winning opportunities for cash and non-cash prizes, requires prior permission from the competent authority for such business activities.
It is only permitted to set up gambling equipment with winning opportunities, whose design is approved by the National Metrology Institute.
Installation of the equipment must only take place in locations whose suitability has been confirmed in writing by the municipality in charge of the place of installation. Confirmation of suitability is required for each installation location. The following must be observed with regard to suitability of an installation location:
Gambling equipment with cash or non-cash prices must only be set up in:
- Premises of public houses or restaurants in which
beverages or prepared food are served for immediate on-site consumption.
This does not apply for refreshment kiosks, ice cream parlours, milk bars and businesses in which food and beverages are only served as a minor part of the business activities.
- in lodging establishments,
- in gambling halls or similar establishments or
- in betting offices that are run by licensed bookmakers, unless the betting office arranges for sports betting.
Gambling equipment with cash prizes must not
be set up in:
- establishments at public festivals, fairs and similar events, as well as carnivals and special markets,
- establishments on sports pitches, sports facilities, dancing academies, public swimming pools, sports or youth hostels and establishments whose nature provides that they are frequented in particular by children and adolescents,
- restaurants that do not require a permit (e. g. restaurants that do not serve alcohol).
By derogation from these rules, devices with non-cash prizes may also be set up:
- at public festivals, fairs and similar events, as well as carnivals and special markets,
A maximum of three (from 10 November 2019: two) gambling devices with cash or non-cash prizes may be set up in any individual business.
In gambling halls and similar establishments that do not serve alcoholic beverages for immediate on-site consumption, no more than one gambling device may be set up per 12 square metres of floor space, however, no more than 8 gambling devices must be set up in total.