Residence permit to take part in a student exchange or to attend school am Standort LEA, Keplerstr.

Aktuelle Hinweise zu diesem Standort

Die Online-Terminvereinbarung (OTV) des LEA steht auch in den nächsten Tagen leider nicht zur Verfügung.

Dies liegt an umfangreichen und komplexen Wartungsarbeiten des ITDZ an der OTV, die länger andauern als vorauszusehen war.

Ihr Aufenthaltstitel / Aufenthaltsgestattung / Duldung läuft innerhalb der nächsten 4 Wochen ab oder ist bereits abgelaufen?

  • Dann wenden Sie sich bitte für einen Termin mittels Kontaktformular an das für Sie zuständige Referat.
Es liegt ein Notfall vor und Sie benötigen dringend einen Termin?
Wir arbeiten unter Hochdruck eng mit dem ITDZ zusammen, um den Service der OTV so schnell wie möglich wieder anbieten zu können. Die entstehenden Unannehmlichkeiten bedauern wir sehr und bitten um Verständnis.

 Larger map


  • Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)
  • LEA, Keplerstr.
  • Keplerstraße 2 10589 Berlin
  • Mailing address
    Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin
  • Tel.: 90269-4000
  • Fax:  -
  • Home page

Opening hours

  • Monday

      7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment only)
  • Tuesday

      7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment only)
  • Wednesday

      8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (by appointment only )
  • Thursday

      9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (by appointment only )
  • Friday

      8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (by appointment only)


Information on the address of this location

The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.

Additional information

  • Fee payments can also be made by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
  • Photo booth available on ground floor. Photos cost 5 euros. Please pay appropriately cash with coins or a 5-euro note (no change or card payment possible at the photo booth).

Payment options


Residence permit to take part in a student exchange or to attend school

A temporary residence permit may be issued for school attendance or for participation in a pupil exchange.
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for school attendance is possible from the 9th class. For a pupil exchange, residence may also be enabled for lower class levels.

Attending school lessons does not entitle the student to a residence permit for this purpose.


  • Student exchange
    The temporary student exchange must have been agreed by a school exchange organisation, a non-governmental youth organisation, a German school or other public sector entity in cooperation with a school or public sector entity in the other country.
    Privately or commercially organised pupil exchanges are also possible.
  • Type of school for a stay to attend school
    The school must be either
    • a public or state-recognised school with an international orientation or
    • a school which is not or is not predominantly financed from public funds and which prepares the pupils for international qualifications, qualifications of other states or state-recognised qualifications.
    For all types of school a student body consisting of pupils of various nationalities must be ensured (exceptions may be considered for so-called embassy schools).
  • Consent of the parents
    Only if the foreign student is not yet of age
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • Personal appearance by appointment is required
    In the case of those children who have not yet reached the age of 18, the application must be submitted by a supervisor who has been authorised to do so by the parents (host parents).

Documents required

  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
    available in German, English, French, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian
  • Valid passport or passport substitute
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Certificate from school
    The certificate from the school must show the duration, the general conditions and any costs of the student exchange or school attendance.
  • Agreement or contract for the student exchange (original)
  • Proof of secure livelihood
    • Exchange students: written declaration by the host parents that accommodation, meals and pocket money will be provided.
    • School attendance without student exchange: blocked account at a German bank with a credit balance of 726.00 Euros for every month (e.g. 8,712.00 Euros for 12 months’school attendance) or submission of an undertaking by third parties on official notepaper or a declaration by the parents that support will be provided for the duration of the schooling (evidence of the parents’income and copies of passports are to be attached)
  • Health insurance
    • Exchange students: travel health insurance will suffice. This must be valid for the entire time of the stay.
    • School attendance without student exchange: those persons holding statutory health insurance will have sufficient health insurance. Those students holding private health insurance must heed the nature and extent of their health insurance. (Please read the leaflet "Health insurance" for further information.)
  • School reports
    These are not required for exchange students.
  • Written declaration of consent of the parents
    • Minors under 18 years: A written notarized statement of the persons entitled to care must be presented.
    • Minors under 16 years: In addition, parents must appoint a responsible adult caregiver.


  • Adults: 100.00 euros
  • Minors: 50.00 euros
  • Exchange student: free of charge

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.