Issuing and extending a residence title for former Germans.
Naturalised persons that have applied for and obtained foreign nationality after 01/01/2000 and have therefore lost their German nationality shall require a residence title.
A former German is granted
- a permanent settlement permit if he or she had been habitually resident in the federal territory for five years upon losing German nationality
- a temporary residence permit if he or she had been habitually resident in the federal territory for at least one year upon losing German nationality.
The application for a residence title must be filed within six months of obtaining knowledge of the loss of German nationality.
Valid foreign passport
The form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Application form is only to be completed when applying for the first time.
German Id-Card (Personalausweis), German passport
A notice of loss must be obtained if German ID documents are lost. It is issued by any district office in Berlin.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, Frontalaufnahme mit neutralem Gesichtsausdruck und geschlossenem Mund, gerade in die Kamera blickend, heller Hintergrund
Proof of registered periods of residency in Berlin from 01/01/1995
You can obtain the extended certificate of registration (at a charge) from any district office in Berlin or from the State Office for Residents’ and Regulatory Affairs. If possible, submit a print-out of this service description for this purpose.
Other documents confirming your residency are necessary if you have lived at one or several locations in another federal state in the meantime. They may be employment contracts, rent contracts or references.
Proof is only necessary for first-time applications.
Proof of acquisition of foreign nationality
e.g. naturalisation certificate, excerpt from the civil registry or certification from the consulate general or embassy, also the Nüfus Kayit Örnegi for Turkish nationals (original, with translation).
Proof of acquisition of German nationality
Proof of good conduct (Führungszeugnis; not older than 3 months)
Proof of good conduct can be applied for (at a charge) with any district office in Berlin. A certificate of good conduct for personal reasons is sufficient.
Proof of good conduct is only necessary when applying for a residence title for the first time.
Proof of a secure livelihood
All documents must be presented in original:
- Employees: Employment contract, Certificate of employment, salary slips of the last 6 months
- Entrepreneurs and self-employed: audit report form prepared by a tax consultant, auditor or a lawyer with relevant professional experience (e.g. a specialist lawyer for tax law), last tax assessment
- Freelancers: Tax assessments, bank statements, Invoices,e.g. from galleries and auction houses and the like that show a regular inflow
- Retirees: Notice of pension approval
Lease or proof of home ownership
Rental cost / expenses for property
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort.
- Adults: 56.00 to 113.00 euros for the initial issuance; 49.00 to 96.00 euros for the extension
- Minors: 28.00 to 55.00 euros for the initial issuance; 24.50 to 48.00 Euro for the extension
- Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten