Issuance of a residence permit for attending a language course which is not for the preparation of studying. The residence permit can be issued for the maximum of one year.
Intensive language course
A residence permit for learning the German language can only be issued for the participation in an intensive language course.
An intensive language course requires that its duration is limited from the start, and generally comprises daily lessons (a minimum of 18 lesson-hours per week) and directed towards acquiring comprehensive German language skills. Night and weekend courses do not meet these requirements.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
available in German, English, French, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian
Proof of intensive language course
- Certification of the language school over a booked language course of at least 3 months
- Contract with the language school
Health insurance (insurance card)
Any statutory health insurance will do. Travellers’ health insurance will also suffice for the duration of the language course.
Proof of secure livelihood
- Blocked account (Sperrkonto) at a German Bank with more than 9,600 Euros or
- submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form (Verpflichtungserklärung) or
- notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the studies with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- 56.00 euros
- For Turkish citizens the fee is a maximum of 28.80 euros.
Average time to process request
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport on the same day.
Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)