Are you a foreign skilled worker who wishes to work in Germany but your professional qualifications have not yet been fully recognised by the competent body in Germany?
If so you will usually be granted a temporary residence permit for the purpose of completing qualification measures and examinations in order to make up for technical, practical and linguistic deficiencies and thus obtain
- recognition of your professional qualification (establishment of the equivalence to a domestic professional qualification),
- the issuance of the professional practice permit (occupational access) or
- permission to use the professional title.
The qualification measures include offers from vocational or technical colleges, company or supra-company offers with practical and theoretical components, preparatory courses for knowledge or aptitude examinations as well as general or occupation-oriented language courses.
The temporary residence permit is granted for the specific duration of the respective qualification measure and as a maximum for up to a total of two years.
Upon successful completion of the qualification measure a further temporary residence permit may be granted, particularly for the purpose of job-seeking or for employment as a skilled worker.
Your professional qualification has not yet been recognised
The body competent for the recognition of your professional qualification in Germany has established with a decision (a so-called “deficiency decision”)
- technical, practical occupational or linguistic deficiencies and
- in the case of a regulated profession (for example in healthcare) the need for adaptation measures or a language course.
The qualification measure must be suitable
In the case of a school-based qualification measure: The educational institution must be appropriately qualified
The educational institution must be either a state institution, state-recognised or certified according to “Recognition and Approval Regulation for the Promotion of Employment (Anerkennungs- und Zulassungsverordnung Arbeitsförderung – AZAV).” This requirement is also considered to be fulfilled if the qualification measure is funded through funding programmes of the federal government or the Länder.
In the case of a predominantly workplace-based qualification measure: Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
A qualification measure is considered to be predominantly workplace-based if more than half the time is spent on company work/practical activities.
For the costs of general subsistence, rent and health insurance you must be able to dispose of own funds in the amount of €911.00 per month.
Elementary knowledge of German at GER level A 2
See section „More information“
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" - filled out
Deficiency decision of the recognition body
Proof of elementary knowledge of German at GER level A 2
Supporting documents on the planned qualification measure
In the case of school-based qualification: Documentary evidence on the educational institution
In the case of workplace-based qualification: Documents for the participation of the Federal Employment Agency
- Employment contract or traineeship contract
- Filled in form „Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis“ (job description)
- Filled in form “Zusatzblatt A” (Additional Sheet A) and the training schedule specified therein
- Filled in form „Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung“ (Work Permit Application)
Proof of secured livelihood
If your subsistence is not covered by income from employment:
- Setting up a blocked account with a German bank, or
- Signing a formal undertaking at the Land Immigration Office
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
in the case of a private health insurance scheme:
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer
Proof of your residence
for example through
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (see section "More information") or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (See section "Forms")
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- For Turkish nationals a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.
Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)