EU Blue Card (Blaue Karte EU) at the location LEA, Keplerstr.
Current information on this location
- Since April 1st, 2022, the 3G regulation no longer applies. However, we ask that you continue to wear a KN95/N95 or FFP2 mask when entering our office building. This is for your own protection and the protection of our employees.
- In order to grant refugees from Ukraine humanitarian residence permits as quickly as possible, short-term express appointments can no longer be offered in the online appointment booking. We ask for your understanding and support in this special situation.
- Please note the information on our website about service from March 21st
Information on the address of this location
The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.
Cash and girocard (with PIN) (formerly EC card) can be used for payment at the location.
- Gebühren-Zahlungen sind auch mit Kreditkarte möglich (VISA, Mastercard und Maestro).
- Fotoautomat im Erdgeschoss vorhanden. Fotos kosten 5 Euro. Bitte passend bar mit Münzen oder 5- Euro-Schein zahlen (am Fotoautomat kein Wechselgeld oder Kartenzahlung möglich).
EU Blue Card (Blaue Karte EU)
If you have a university degree you can get an EU Blue Card to enable you to work in Germany. A certain minimum salary is necessary for this.
The EU Blue Card has several advantages compared with a residence permit for the purpose of employment. For example, it enables you to obtain the right of permanent residence more quickly. There is more information about the benefits in the “More information” section.
The EU Blue Card is valid for a maximum of 4 years. If you have a fixed-term employment contract, the EU Blue Card can also be valid for a shorter time. Normally it also lasts 3 months longer than your employment contract.
For the first two years of employment, approval from the Foreigners’ Registration Office must be obtained before any change of job.
You have foreign family members in Berlin who also need a residence title?
Then please make an appointment together to apply for the EU Blue Card and the residence permits for your family members.
You can find the necessary documents for your family members in the service "Residence permit for spouses and children of holders of an EU Blue Card" (see section "More information").
Specific university degree
- a degree from a German university or
- a degree from a foreign university which is recognised in Germany, or
- a different degree from a foreign university which is comparable to a German degree.
If your degree is not evaluated in this database, you can have a certificate assessment carried out specially for your degree. This will incur additional costs. You can find more about certificate assessment in the “More information” section.
You already have an employment contract or a concrete offer.
You can only get the EU Blue Card if you earn enough. The amount you need to earn depends on your job. For the year 2022 the following applies:
- If you work in a shortage occupation, you need to earn EUR 3,666.00 gross per month or more. (This equates to EUR 43,992.00 per year.) Shortage occupations are specific occupations for which there are not enough workers in Germany. These professions at present are: Scientists in natural science disciplines, mathematicians, architects, interior, urban and traffic planners, designers, engineers, scientific engineers, physicians (except dentists) and those with academic qualifications in information and communications technology.
- If you are working in another profession, you will need to earn EUR 4,700.00 gross per month or more. (This equates to 56,400.00 Euro per year.)
- Note: Success bonuses and other fully variable special payments are not taken into account.
Possibly: Approval of the German Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit)
You need the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if you
- work in a shortage occupation and
- earn less than EUR 4,700.00 gross per month.
Depending on the profession: Occupation practice permit
For some jobs you need a special permit, for example for human medicine. If you do not know whether you need this special permit, please ask your employer.
You have health insurance in Germany, either in the statutory health insurance system or a comparable private health insurance.
Foreign health insurance is not sufficient.
Main residence in Berlin
You live in Berlin. A second residence in Berlin is not sufficient.
More on the subject: Anmeldung einer Wohnung.
Appearance in person
Please submit your application to your local office. We recommend that you book an appointment online.
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
only required on first application
For the approval of the Federal Employment Agency: additional form
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out by your employer)
- Your passport
Proof of your residence
for example by
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Melde-Bestätigung) or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (Wohnungsgeber-Bestätigung)
Current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
- University or university college qualification (Original)
If necessary: Zeugnisbewertung
If your foreign degree is not evaluated in the “anabin” database, please submit a certificate assessment to the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).
- Your employment contract or job offer (Original)
- If necessary: Occupation practice permit
Proof of your health insurance
for statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photo
- up-to-date confirmation of health insurance
- Proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- Certificate from the insurance company
Lease or proof of home ownership
Rental cost / expenses for property
Supporting documents proving monthly rent costs (e.g. a current account statement) or the costs of the occupied property (original)
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
- Information of the Berlin Immigration Office about the EU Blue Card
- Information portal of the German government for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications
- Online database "anabin" by the Central Office for Foreign Education Affairs
- Certificate evaluation for foreign university qualifications
- Information on adequate health insurance
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Meldebestätigung)
- Example: confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (Wohnungsgeber-Bestätigung)
- Residence permit for spouses and children of holders of an EU Blue Card
- Foto-Mustertafel der Bundesdruckerei
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.