EU Blue Card (Blaue Karte EU) at the location LEA, Keplerstr.

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

Please note the information on our website about

Opening hours

By appointment only
By appointment only
By appointment only
By appointment only
By appointment only

Changes in opening hours

To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.

Additional appointments are made available for urgent matters:

  • For urgent cases the units B 1 and B 2 release daily short-term appointments online for Mondays and Tuesdays.
  • Furthermore, from the 2nd of May 2021 every Wednesday in the afternoon hundreds of fast lane appointments for the following Thursday at Keplerstraße will be released.

Information on the address of this location

The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to:
Landesamt für Einwanderung, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.

Information for customers with an appointment

Wir bitten um Verständnis für die folgenden Hygiene-Maßnahmen:

  • Ab dem 08.12.2021 gilt die 3G-Regel. Ausnahmslos erhalten nur Personen Zutritt, die entweder gegen den Corona-Virus vollständig geimpft, genesen oder aktuell negativ auf eine Infektion mit dem Corona-Virus getestet sind.
  • Das Betreten unseres Dienstgebäudes ist grundsätzlich nur mit Masken der Standards KN95/N95 oder FFP2 gestattet.
  • Wenn Sie durch ein ärztliches Attest nachweisen, dass Sie von der Maskenpflicht befreit sind, können Sie unter Beachtung der sog. 3-G-Regel (geimpft, genesen oder getestet) vorsprechen.
  • Wenn möglich, kommen Sie bitte ohne Begleitpersonen zum Termin.

Payment options

Cash and girocard (with PIN) (formerly EC card) can be used for payment at the location.

Additional information

Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).

EU Blue Card (Blaue Karte EU)

If you have a university degree you can get an EU Blue Card to enable you to work in Germany. A certain minimum salary is necessary for this.

The EU Blue Card has several advantages compared with a residence permit for the purpose of employment. For example, it enables you to obtain the right of permanent residence more quickly. There is more information about the benefits in the “More information” section.

The EU Blue Card is valid for a maximum of 4 years. If you have a fixed-term employment contract, the EU Blue Card can also be valid for a shorter time. Normally it also lasts 3 months longer than your employment contract.

For the first two years of employment, approval from the Foreigners’ Registration Office must be obtained before any change of job.

You have foreign family members in Berlin who also need a residence title?
Then please make an appointment together to apply for the EU Blue Card and the residence permits for your family members.
You can find the necessary documents for your family members in the service "Residence permit for spouses and children of holders of an EU Blue Card" (see section "More information").


  • Specific university degree
    You have
    • a degree from a German university or
    • a degree from a foreign university which is recognised in Germany, or
    • a different degree from a foreign university which is comparable to a German degree.
    You can check the “anabin” database to see whether your foreign degree is recognised. You will find a link to this database in the “More information” section.
    If your degree is not evaluated in this database, you can have a certificate assessment carried out specially for your degree. This will incur additional costs. You can find more about certificate assessment in the “More information” section.
  • Employment
    You already have an employment contract or a concrete offer.
  • Minimum salary
    You can only get the EU Blue Card if you earn enough. The amount you need to earn depends on your job. For the year 2022 the following applies:
    • If you work in a shortage occupation, you need to earn EUR 3,666.00 gross per month or more. (This equates to EUR 43,992.00 per year.) Shortage occupations are specific occupations for which there are not enough workers in Germany. These professions at present are: Scientists in natural science disciplines, mathematicians, architects, interior, urban and traffic planners, designers, engineers, scientific engineers, physicians (except dentists) and those with academic qualifications in information and communications technology.
    • If you are working in another profession, you will need to earn EUR 4,700.00 gross per month or more. (This equates to 56,400.00 Euro per year.)
    • Note: Success bonuses and other fully variable special payments are not taken into account.
  • Possibly: Approval of the German Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit)
    You need the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if you
    • work in a shortage occupation and
    • earn less than EUR 4,700.00 gross per month.
  • Depending on the profession: Occupation practice permit
    For some jobs you need a special permit, for example for human medicine. If you do not know whether you need this special permit, please ask your employer.
  • Health insurance
    You have health insurance in Germany, either in the statutory health insurance system or a comparable private health insurance.
    Foreign health insurance is not sufficient.
  • Main residence in Berlin
    You live in Berlin. A second residence in Berlin is not sufficient.
    More on the subject: Anmeldung einer Wohnung.
  • Appearance in person
    Please submit your application to your local office. We recommend that you book an appointment online.

Documents required

  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
    only required on first application
  • For the approval of the Federal Employment Agency: additional form
    • Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out by your employer)
  • Your passport
  • Proof of your residence
    for example by
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence (Melde-Bestätigung) or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (Wohnungsgeber-Bestätigung)
  • Current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • University or university college qualification (Original)
  • If necessary: Zeugnisbewertung
    If your foreign degree is not evaluated in the “anabin” database, please submit a certificate assessment to the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).
  • Your employment contract or job offer (Original)
  • If necessary: Occupation practice permit
  • Proof of your health insurance
    for statutory health insurance:
    • electronic health card with photo
    • up-to-date confirmation of health insurance
    for private health insurance:
    • Proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
    • Certificate from the insurance company
    The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please tell your insurance company that you need the certificate for a residence permit for the purpose of employment.


  • For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
  • For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
  • For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
Turkish nationals (for first issuance as well as for extension)
  • Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
If you need a qualification evaluation, you will have to pay additional costs.

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Responsible authority

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.