Granting and extension of a temporary residence permit for school education or qualified vocational training in a company, if the vocational training leads to a recognized qualification.
- The temporary residence permit entitles the holder to engage in (depending on the type of training) an occupation lasting no more than 10 hours per week. Self-employment is not permitted.
- In most cases it will not be possible to grant any other temporary residence permit during the training, except where the person has a legal entitlement.
- The temporary residence permit can be extended for up to 12 months following completion of the vocational training. This time shall be used to find a place of employment. The position must reflect the professional qualifications acquired.
Qualified vocational training
The vocational training must lead to a professional qualification that is recognised by the state or is regulated according to a comparable system.
Sufficient language skills
The language competency required for the completion of the vocational training must be assured. In most cases this will mean sufficient proficiency in the German language equivalent to level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Exceptions are only permitted if the training institution
- provides individual language development courses as part of the training or
- confirms that language skills are sufficient for the completion of qualified vocational training.
For company training: Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
The residence permit for company-based vocational training can generally only be issued if the Federal Employment Agency has given its consent.
For vocational training in a school or theoretical setting: recognised educational institution
The training can be completed at vocational colleges or private sector educational establishments. The course of training must not be designed exclusively to suit nationals of a particular country.
Subsistence must be ensured by own means or a commitment by a third party for the duration of the training. 828 euros must be available as monthly income.
If there are fees for the training, the minimum monthly amount increases accordingly.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" - filled out
Only required for first-time application
For company training: Form "Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung" (filled out by yourself)
please filled out (see section "Forms")
For company training: Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" - filled out by the company
please filled out (see section "Forms")
For company training: Contract about the vocational training with entry in the apprenticeship role ("Lehrlingsrolle"),
possibly contract for upstream vocational language courses
For vocational training in a school or theoretical setting: Contract with school
It is also sufficient to submit a current admission decision within the meaning of the applicable training and examination ordinance (Ausbildungs- und Prüfungsverordnung), provided this results in the professional qualification and the duration of the training.
Proof of livelihood (original)
As proof of a secure livelihood during the training suffice:
- Escrow account at a German Bank or
- Submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form (Verpflichtungserklärung) or
- Notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the training with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months
- Approval of benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
(for both see section "More information")
- 100.00 euros for the initial issuance of the residence permit
- 93.00 euros for the extension of the residence permit
- a maximum of 28.80 euros Turkish citizens (both for the first issue and for the extension of the residence permit)
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.
Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)