Insurance consultant - apply for permission
If you would like to work full-time as a self-employed insurance advisor, you need a permit from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (Industrie- und Handleskammer - or IHK).
As an insurance adviser you advise people on:
- modification or
- reviewing insurance contracts.
To work as an insurance advisor, you need a licence from your local Chamber of Industry and Commerce.
In addition to obtaining permission, you must also register in the insurance intermediary register (see "Further information"). You can apply for entry in the register of insurance intermediaries at the same time as you apply for permission.
As an insurance adviser you may
- neither accept benefits (commissions) from insurance undertakings,
- be dependent on insurance companies in any other way, or accept an economic advantage.
- accept an economic advantage.
Special features for foreign nationals.
If you are a foreign national with a branch in another member state of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany, nor can you register in the German insurance intermediary register.
The same provisions apply to foreign nationals from non-EU countries as to German nationals. These also apply to EU nationals who register a corresponding trade exclusively in Germany (see "Further information").
You have the necessary reliability for the business operation. You are not considered reliable if you have been convicted by a final court decision of one of the following offences in the last 5 years:
- money laundering
- forgery of documents
- receiving stolen goods
- insolvency offences
Orderly financial circumstances
You live in a well-ordered financial situation. You do not meet this requirement if:
- insolvency proceedings have been opened against your assets, or
- insolvency proceedings have been dismissed for lack of assets, or
- you are entered in the debtors' register.
You have the required expertise. Proof of the required expertise is possible through:
- a professional qualification examination before the IHK (Chamber of Industry and Commerce) or
- through equivalent training qualifications and possibly corresponding professional experience.
Sufficient insurance cover
The insurance consultation business must be covered by liability insurance to the required minimum insurance sum.
Application for approval as an insurance consultant
Form: Application for approval and registration as an insurance consultant § 34d sec. 2 GewO
Identity card or other official identification bearing a photograph. Not required for digitally submitted applications.
Certificate of good conduct for presentation to an authority
To verify personal reliability, information from the Federal Central Register (certificate of good conduct) is required for submission to an authority (document type O).
The information must not be older than three months.
Excerpt from the central business register for presentation to an authority
To verify personal reliability, information from the central business register is required for submission to an authority (document type 9).
The information must not be older than three months.
Information from the insolvency register
- Two certificates are required for initiating insolvency proceedings for natural persons who are residents of Berlin. The first certificate for consumer insolvency proceedings must be applied for with the local court responsible for your place of residence, and the second one for regular insolvency proceedings is available from the District Court Charlottenburg Amtsgerichtsplatz 1, 14057 Berlin.
- The District Court Charlottenburg, Amtsgerichtsplatz 1, 14057 Berlin is responsible for insolvency proceedings for legal entities and private trade companies based in Berlin.
- Applicants residing / operating outside of Berlin please inform themselves about the respective responsibilities of the insolvency courts via the central place and court directory. (see further information)
Information from the record of debtors (central enforcement centre)
Information on entries can be requested online at the Central Enforcement Portal of the Federal States. (see "More information")
Proof of expertise
Proof of expertise from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce on existing necessary knowledge and legal regulations of the insurance industry. Or you have a comparable recognised professional qualification. (see "More information")
Professional liability insurance
- Confirmation from an insurance company of the existence of professional liability insurance for the insurance industry.
- The scope of insurance must correspond to the statutory minimum amounts of cover.
Current excerpt from the trade register (only required if included in the trade register)
Registered companies are required to submit a current excerpt from the trade register when applying. Legal entities that are currently being founded (e.g. GmbH, AG) are required to submit their partnership agreement or statutes.
- EUR 320.00: Licensing procedure for insurance intermediaries and consultants
- Trade Regulations (Gewerbeordnung (GewO)) § 34d sec. 2
- Regulation on Insurance Mediation and Consulting - Insurance Mediation Regulation (Versicherungsvermittlungsverordnung (VersVermV))
- Schedule of fees by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (Section F. Legal and Taxation - 2. insurance intermediaries/consultants)
- Leaflet from the Berlin Chamber of Industry and Commerce - Insurance Consultants
- Application forms for insurance intermediaries / consultants
- Summary differences in the insurance industry
- Information from the Berlin Chamber of Industry and Commerce regarding insurance arrangement
- Search for the competent court in the central local and court register
- Information from the debtors' register - central enforcement portal of the federal states
- Summary - Expertise examination equivalent to other professional qualifications
- Insurance consultant or insurance intermediary - register for the expert knowledge examination
- Register of intermediaries IHK - Registration
- Register a trade
The application for approval as an insurance consultant must be submitted to the Chamber of Industry and Commerce that is responsible for the principle place of business. If this address is not yet known, approval can also be applied for with the Chamber of Industry and Commerce that is responsible for the applicant’s place of residence.