Residence permit for medical treatment at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
Current information on this location
- Please note the information about service at our locations from May 31st on our website.
Changes in opening hours
To further contain the corona infection services will continue to take place in principle only by appointment.
Information for customers with an appointment
We ask for your understanding for the following hygiene precautions:
- Entering our service building is only permitted with masks of the standards KN95 / N95 or FFP2.
- We can’t serve you if you are displaying symptoms of infection.
- Please note: Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, access to our office buildings is limited only to customers with personal appointments. We kindly ask you – if possible – to come without accompanying persons to the appointment.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
- Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
- Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Residence permit for medical treatment
You can be issued with a residence permit on a temporary basis if your medical treatment in Germany lasts longer than the term of validity of the national visa (type D) issued to you for this purpose.
The residence permit can also be issued for your accompanying persons to whom a national visa (type D) was issued for this purpose.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if the medical treatment is finished.
If you have a Schengen visa (type C), you cannot receive a residence permit. However, you can extend your Schengen visa as a national visa (type D). You can find out more about this in the service "Schengen-Visa extension" (see section "More information").
Valid national visa (type D)
- The national visa was issued either by a German embassy or consulate or by the Foreigners Registration Office.
- If you have a Schengen visa (type C), you can extend this as a national visa (type D) under certain conditions. You can find out more about this in the service "Schengen - Visa - Extension" (see section "More information").
- Medically treatment in the federal territory
- Guaranteed subsistence for the duration of the treatment
- Main residence in Berlin during medical treatment
In-person visit of the patient and the accompanying person
The accompanying person must come and see us face to face with
- their power of attorney and
- the hospital stay certificate (Liegebescheinigung) from the hospital for the patient.
Passport with valid national visa
- Patient: passport with valid national visa for medical treatment
- Accompanying person: passport with valid national visa for accompanying the patient
1 current biometric photo
The photograph must be current. It must also meet the requirements for photographs in electronic passports. The photo sample page of the German Federal Printing Office (Bundesdruckerei) includes the individual requirements.
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels"
see section "Forms"
- Passport or ID-Card of the authorized person
Declaration regarding assumption of costs
It must be confirmed by the embassy that the payment of the costs of treatment is guaranteed. This includes the costs of the treatment received and future treatment.
Proof of sufficient means of subsistence (for those paying for their own treatment)
If a cost coverage declaration cannot be submitted, please bring the following with you:
- Bank statements showing your own financial resources
- Proof of payment of treatment costs to date
Consultant's certificate regarding medical treatment
Confirmation of the following points by the hospital, doctor or institution providing the treatment:
- The availability of a place for the patient to receive the treatment,
- A date for the start of treatment, and
- The expected duration of the treatment
In the case of outpatient treatment, travel health insurance is to be produced for the duration of the treatment up until departure.
It must be clearly demonstrated that a healthcare service is being provided.
If you have a representative: representative’s power of attorney and identification document
If you cannot make the application yourself:
- Written power of attorney
- Identification document of the person representing you (passport or German ID card)
- For adults: 100.00 euros for the initial issuance; 96.00 euros for the extension
- For minors: 50.00 euros for the initial issuance; 48.00 euros for the extension
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.
S-Bahn S 41/42 (Westhafen)
U-Bahn U 9 (Amrumer Str.)
Bus 123, 142, M27