You can be issued with a residence permit on a temporary basis if your medical treatment in Germany lasts longer than the term of validity of the national visa (type D) issued to you for this purpose.
The residence permit can also be issued for your accompanying persons to whom a national visa (type D) was issued for this purpose.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if the medical treatment is finished.
If you have a Schengen visa (type C), you cannot receive a residence permit. However, you can extend your Schengen visa as a national visa (type D).
You can find out more about this in the service Schengen-Visa extension.
Valid national visa (type D)
- The national visa was issued either by a German embassy or consulate or by the Foreigners Registration Office.
- If you have a Schengen visa (type C), you can extend this as a national visa (type D) under certain conditions. You can find out more about this in the service Schengen-Visa extension.
Medically treatment in the federal territory
Guaranteed subsistence for the duration of the treatment
Main residence in Berlin during medical treatment
In-person visit of the patient and the accompanying person
The accompanying person must come and see us face to face with their power of attorney and the hospital stay certificate (Liegebescheinigung) from the hospital for the patient.
Passport with valid national visa
- Patient: passport with valid national visa for medical treatment
- Accompanying person: passport with valid national visa for accompanying the patient
All passports must contain at least two blank pages (without a stamp or a visa).
1 current biometric photo
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
see section "Forms"
Passport or ID-Card of the authorized person
Declaration regarding assumption of costs
It must be confirmed by the embassy that the payment of the costs of treatment is guaranteed. This includes the costs of the treatment received and future treatment.
Proof of sufficient means of subsistence (for those paying for their own treatment)
If a cost coverage declaration cannot be submitted, please bring the following with you:
- Bank statements showing your own financial resources
- Proof of payment of treatment costs to date
Consultant's certificate regarding medical treatment
Confirmation of the following points by the hospital, doctor or institution providing the treatment:
- The availability of a place for the patient to receive the treatment,
- A date for the start of treatment, and
- The expected duration of the treatment
In the case of outpatient treatment, travel health insurance is to be produced for the duration of the treatment up until departure.
It must be clearly demonstrated that a healthcare service is being provided.
If you have a representative: representative’s power of attorney and identification document
If you cannot make the application yourself:
- Written power of attorney
- Identification document of the person representing you (passport or German ID card)
Fro 1 September 2017 the fees are:
- For adults: 56.00 euros for the initial issuance; 49.00 to 96.00 euros for the extension
- For minors: 28.00 euros for the initial issuance; 24.50 to 48.00 euros for the extension
Average time to process request
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport on the same day.
Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)