You can be issued with a residence permit on a temporary basis if your medical treatment in Germany lasts longer than the term of validity of the national visa (type D) issued to you for this purpose.
The residence permit can also be issued for your accompanying persons to whom a national visa (type D) was issued for this purpose.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if the medical treatment is finished.
If you have a Schengen visa (type C), you cannot receive a residence permit. However, you can extend your Schengen visa as a national visa (type D). You can find out more about this in the service "Schengen-Visa extension" (see section "More information").
Passport with valid national visa
- Patient: passport with valid national visa for medical treatment
- Accompanying person: passport with valid national visa for accompanying the patient
All passports must contain at least two blank pages (without a stamp or a visa).
1 current biometric photo
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels"
see section "Forms"
Passport or ID-Card of the authorized person
Declaration regarding assumption of costs
It must be confirmed by the embassy that the payment of the costs of treatment is guaranteed. This includes the costs of the treatment received and future treatment.
Proof of sufficient means of subsistence (for those paying for their own treatment)
If a cost coverage declaration cannot be submitted, please bring the following with you:
- Bank statements showing your own financial resources
- Proof of payment of treatment costs to date
Consultant's certificate regarding medical treatment
Confirmation of the following points by the hospital, doctor or institution providing the treatment:
- The availability of a place for the patient to receive the treatment,
- A date for the start of treatment, and
- The expected duration of the treatment
In the case of outpatient treatment, travel health insurance is to be produced for the duration of the treatment up until departure.
It must be clearly demonstrated that a healthcare service is being provided.
If you have a representative: representative’s power of attorney and identification document
If you cannot make the application yourself:
- Written power of attorney
- Identification document of the person representing you (passport or German ID card)
- For adults: 100.00 euros for the initial issuance; 96.00 euros for the extension
- For minors: 50.00 euros for the initial issuance; 48.00 euros for the extension
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.
Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)