Application certificate for family members of EU (except Germany) and EEA citizens

Please note: This service is not available for family members (spouses, parents, children) of German citizens. If you are a family member of a German citizen, please inform yourself about the "Residence permit for spouses, parents and children of German citizens" (see section "More information").

Family members subject to the law on freedom of movement of a citizen of the EU or of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) who themselves are not citizens of the EU or EAA officially receive a residence card for five years within six months after they have furnished the required information. The residence card evidences their right to entry and residence deriving from the freedom of movement rights accorded to citizens of the EU or of the EAA.

If a residence card cannot be issued immediately to a citizen of the EU or EAA at the time of the appointment, e.g. because documents are still missing, an informal application certificate will be issued. This certificate is valid for six months from the month of issue.

Family members of other foreign or German citizens receive neither a residence card nor an application certificate.


  • Residence card required
    The issue of a residence card is desired, which, however, cannot yet be issued at the time of the personal appointment because of missing documents.



Für Sie zuständig


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.