Transfer of a permanent residence permit to a new passport at the location Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde) Berlin, location Friedrich-Krause-Ufer

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

  • Here you can receive the following services.

  • For any other services or requests (especially for Blue Card EU, students, scientists, au pairs, extension of Schengen-visas) please go to our other service building at Keplerstraße 2 in Berlin-Charlottenburg

Opening hours

07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
By appointment only
10:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.

Payment options

You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.

Additional information

Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).

Transfer of a permanent residence permit to a new passport

Transfers are generally only made at citizens' registration offices (Bürgerämter) or in the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) by appointment only.

If no appointments are available at short notice, it is possible to start a trip abroad even without a transfer, if you have your old passport and your residence permit which is still valid. You will be able to return to Germany without any problems, if you take your new passport and the old passport with you. However, it is recommended that you check the entry and exit conditions of the host country before traveling abroad (e.g. at a travel agency or the consular authority of the host country).


  • Transfer in a Bürgeramt
    You can generally have the transfer carried out at any Berlin Citizens Registration Office, as long as the following requirements are met:

    • You have the expired passport with a permanent residence permit.
    • The permanent residence permit was issued by the Berlin Registration Office for Foreigners.
    • The old passport has not been expired for more than six months.
    • You have not resided outside the federal territory for a continuous period longer than six months.
  • Transfer in the Ausländerbehörde
    If one of the above mentioned requirements for making the transfer at the Citizens Registration Office is not met (e.g. old passport is no longer present, the permanent residence permit was not issued by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office) the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office is responsible for the transfer.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • Appointment
    Transfers are generally only made at citizens registration offices or in the Foreigners Registration Office by appointment only.

Documents required

  • new passport
  • complete old passport with permanent residence permit
  • Passport notice loss
    If the passport was lost or stolen, a passport notice of loss from the police or Registration Office for Foreigners must be presented.
  • 1 current biometric photo (from 10 years of age)
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background


  • Adults: 8 to 60 euros (depending on processing time)
  • Minors: 5 to 30 euros (depending on processing time)

Free of charge:
  • when presenting current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act
  • for holders of a permanent residence permit in accordance with section 23 para. 2 or section 26 para. 3 AufenthG

Average time to process request

In general, the transfer may be made immediately upon appointment.

Responsible authority

The service can generally be provided at all Citizens Registration Offices (Bürgerämter). In special circumstances, only the Foreigners Registration Office is responsible (see requirements).