Current information on this location
- Here you can receive the following services.
- For any other services or requests (especially for Blue Card EU, students, scientists, au pairs, extension of Schengen-visas) please go to our other service building at Keplerstraße 2 in Berlin-Charlottenburg
07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
07:00 a.m. - 02:00 p.m.
By appointment only
10:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.
Changes in opening hours
On Thursday, 28th of December 2017 we have different opening times:
- Departments E 1 - E 5 (residence titles) - 07:00 a.m. to 03:00 p.m.
- Departments A 1 - A 5 (temporary suspension of deportation - Duldung, temporary residence permits for asylum seekers - Aufenthaltsgestattung) – 10:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m.
You can pay in cash or with a debit card (Girocard) (with PIN) at this location.
Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Transfer of a permanent residence permit to a new passport
Transfers are generally only made at citizens' registration offices (Bürgerämter) or in the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) by appointment only.
If no appointments are available at short notice, it is possible to start a trip abroad even without a transfer, if you have your old passport and your residence permit which is still valid. You will be able to return to Germany without any problems, if you take your new passport and the old passport with you. However, it is recommended that you check the entry and exit conditions of the host country before traveling abroad (e.g. at a travel agency or the consular authority of the host country).
Transfer in a Bürgeramt
You can generally have the transfer carried out at any Berlin Citizens Registration Office, as long as the following requirements are met:
- You have the expired passport with a permanent residence permit.
- Your first name, family name and your date of birth have not changed.
- The permanent residence permit was issued by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office.
- The old passport has not been expired for more than six months.
- You have not resided outside the federal territory for a continuous period longer than six months.
Transfer in the Ausländerbehörde
If one of the above mentioned requirements for making the transfer at the Citizens Registration Office (Bürgeramt) is not met (e.g. old passport is no longer present, the residence title was not issued by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office, the family name has changed because of a wedding) the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office is responsible for the transfer.
Main residence in Berlin
Transfers are generally only made at citizens registration offices or in the Foreigners Registration Office by appointment only.
complete old passport with permanent residence permit
Passport notice loss
If the passport was lost or stolen, a passport notice of loss from the police or Registration Office for Foreigners must be presented.
1 current biometric photo (from 10 years of age)
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when transferring the permanent residence permit. From 01.09.2017 they are:
- For adults: 12.00 euros (transfer as an adhesive sticker) to 67.00 euros (transfer as an electronic residence title)
- For minors: 6,00 euros (transfer as an adhesive sticker) to 33.50 euros (transfer as an electronic residence title)
- For Turkish citizens: 8,00 euros (transfer as an adhesive sticker) to a maximum of 28.80 euros (transfer as an electronic residence title)
Free of charge:
- when presenting current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act
Average time to process request
In general, the transfer may be made immediately upon appointment.
The service can generally be provided at all Citizens Registration Offices (Bürgerämter). In special circumstances, only the Foreigners Registration Office is responsible (see requirements).