Residence permit for the purpose of freelance or self-employment - extension

Extension of a residence permit granted for a self-employed or freelance activity


  • (still valid) residence permit
    The residence permit must still be valid and issued in accordance with section 21 AufenthG.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • A personal interview is required
    The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.

Documents required

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Entrepreneurs and self-employed (residence permit in accordance with section 21 para. 1 or para. 2a AufenthG): Prüfungsbericht (Audit report form)
    • The audit report form must be prepared by a tax consultant, auditor or a lawyer with relevant professional experience (e.g. a specialist lawyer for tax law).
    • It should bear an official stamp.
    • Together with the documents mentioned in the audit report form
  • Freelancers (residence permit in accordance with section 21 para. 5 AufenthG): Proof of a secure livelihood
    Freelancers (e.g. artists or language instructors) are not required to provide an audit report form, but need to provide proof of a secure livelihood through their occupation with other documents:
    • Tax assessments,
    • Net profit determination of a tax consultant,
    • Bank account statements that show a regular inflow and
    • Invoices,e.g. from galleries and auction houses and the like.
    Please put the documents in original and sorted.
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
  • Rental cost / expenses for property
    Proof of the monthly rental costs (current account statement) or cost of the inhabited property; each in the original.
  • Health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
  • Adequate pension plan
    Only if you are above the age of 45:
    A private pension or life insurance must be submitted which guarantees

    • a monthly pension of 1,188.92 euros (for at least 12 years)
    • or an asset amount of 175,068.00 euros.

    Alternatively, evidence can also be provided from currently available assets.

    Proof of a pension plan is not required for these nationalities: Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Turkey and the United States of America

    • Note: An adequate pension is always necessary for the issuance of a permanent residence permit - regardless of age or nationality.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


  • 49.00 to 96.00 euros (depending on the technical effort)
  • For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros

Average time to process request

To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.