Explosives - Applying for a commercial licence under explosives law

If you want to handle or handle explosive substances in the commercial sector, you need a licence. This is to protect people and property from the dangers that can arise from handling explosives.

You require a licence for the following explosive substances:
  • NC powder (nitrocellulose powder)
  • Stage pyrotechnics/technical pyrotechnics
  • Category F3 and F4 fireworks
  • Fireworks according to § 20 para. 4 of the First Ordinance to the Explosives Act of category F2
  1. Submit an application for a commercial licence in accordance with the Explosives Act. You can do this in writing by post, fax or e-mail to sprengstoff@lagetsi.berlin.de.

  2. Your application will be reviewed. If necessary, the competent authority will contact you to ask you for further information on the existing storage facilities for explosive substances. In order to check your reliability, information will be obtained from other authorities (e.g. police and public prosecutor's office).

  3. You will receive notification of the issue and the licence(s). These are official and forgery-proof documents.


  • Expertise
    You must have specialised knowledge. Specialist knowledge is demonstrated by successful participation in a state or state-recognised training course.
  • Reliability
    The required reliability is normally given if you have behaved law-abidingly in the past and have no criminal record.
  • Personal suitability
    You are personally suitable if you have no mental or physical health restrictions or drug or alcohol addiction.
  • Minimum age: 21 years
  • Liability insurance
    You must have liability insurance that covers the minimum sums specified in Section 10.7 SprengVwV.

Documents required

  • Application for an explosives licence for the commercial sector in accordance with § 7 SprengG
    Submit the application in writing by post, fax or e-mail to sprengstoff@lagetsi.berlin.de.
  • Valid identity card or passport
  • Proof of expertise (course certificates) in the original or a certified copy
    or certified competent person (holder of a licence of competence)
  • Liability insurance
  • Description of the intended storage
    For example, technical documentation, photographic evidence, storage plan
  • If applicable, business registration
    No business registration is required if no profit is made. For the granting of a licence in accordance with § 7 SprengG, the business registration must be submitted at the latest when the notification of the commencement of operations in accordance with § 14 SprengG is submitted.
  • If available: a copy of the explosives licence in accordance with § 20 SprengG
  • If available: copy of explosives licence according to § 27 SprengG
  • Persons residing abroad (EU country/non-EU country) and of non-German nationality: extract from the criminal record
    You will need an extract from the criminal record in a certified translation from the competent judicial or administrative authority in your home country or country of origin that is relevant to the assessment of your reliability. If this reveals certain facts (e.g. convictions) that require further checks, the authorities will contact you.
  • For persons from abroad (non-EU country): Clearance certificate with certified translation
    You need a certificate from the competent judicial or administrative authority in your home country or country of origin regarding certain facts that are relevant to the assessment of your reliability (e.g. extract from the criminal record).


  • EUR 150.00 to EUR 300.00, plus EUR 45.00 for the reliability check

Average time to process request

6 - 8 weeks

Für Sie zuständig


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.