Recognition of foreign professional qualifications (third countries) as a specialised psychotherapist am Standort Anerkennungsstelle für Fachpsychotherapeutenqualifikationen
Am Standort kann bar und mit girocard (mit PIN) (ehemals EC-Karte) bezahlt werden.
Recognition of foreign professional qualifications (third countries) as a specialised psychotherapist
By training as a specialist psychotherapist, you have acquired a medical specialisation in addition to your qualification as a psychotherapist abroad. To work as a psychotherapist in Germany, you first need a licence to practise or a professional licence. In order to be able to work as a specialised psychotherapist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialised psychotherapist. This allows you to use the title "specialist psychotherapist" in your respective specialisation.
Note: You may only use the designation for your specialisation if there is a corresponding further training designation in Germany.
1. you submit your application and the required documents to the Berlin Chamber of Psychotherapists. If necessary, you will be asked to submit any missing documents.
2. The competent authority checks whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
3.1 *If your qualification is recognised, you can work in the profession in Germany. You will receive a notification.
3.2 If deficits are found in the knowledge and special areas of law for psychotherapists, the equivalence of your qualification will not be certified. You will be notified of the differences in your professional qualification. You can then take a knowledge test to determine equivalence. *If you successfully pass the examination, you will receive permission to use the title "specialist psychotherapist" for your specialisation.
4 You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within one month (e.g. lodge an objection). We recommend that you first speak to the competent body before taking legal action against the decision.
License to practice medicine/ approbation
You must already have a state licence to practise (Approbation) as a psychotherapist or a professional licence valid in Germany.
Equivalence of your professional qualification
If your qualification is not automatically recognised, you must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist psychotherapist.
Application for recognition
Submit a written application by post.
Curriculum vitae in tabular form with details of completed further training and professional experience
Proof of identity
Identity card or passport
License to practice medicine or professional permit
Proof of a German licence to practise medicine or professional licence and proof of an equivalent level of training
Proof of qualifications
Proof of further training and certificates of professional experience
Declaration on previous professional recognition procedures
Declaration as to whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another chamber of psychotherapists
If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.
EUR 280.00 to 500.00 EUR, additional fees may apply depending on expenditure
- Further training regulations of the Chamber for Psychological Psychotherapists and Child and Adolescent Psychotherapists in the State of Berlin § 17
- Berlin Chamber of Healthcare Professions Act (Bln HKG) § 56
- Fee schedule of the Berlin Chamber of Psychotherapists
- List of fees of the Berlin Chamber of Psychotherapists
Average time to process request
approx. 3-4 months, if all documents are complete
- Berlin Chamber of Psychotherapists
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the Recognition in Germany portal
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications (BQ-Portal)
- Financial assistance in the recognition procedure
- Publicly appointed translators in Germany
- Information about the Point of Single Contact Berlin
Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit
Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi im Service-Portal Ihre Fragen.