Apply for recognition of foreign professional qualifications (third country/ Non-EU Country) as a dental specialist

The profession of specialist dentist is regulated in Germany. This means: You need a permit if you want to use the designation "Fachzahnärztin" or "Fachzahnarzt" for your specialization in the federal state you have chosen.

With the training as a specialist dentist, you have acquired a medical specialization for your qualification as a dentist abroad. To work as a dentist in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist dentist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist dentist. This allows you to use the designation "Fachzahnärztin" or "Fachzahnarzt" in your respective specialization.

Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding further training designation in Germany.

1. You submit your application and the required documents to the Berlin Dental Association (Zahnärztekammer Berlin). You may be asked to submit missing documents.

2. The competent authority checks whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

3.1. If your qualification is recognised, you can work in the profession in Germany. You will receive a notification.

3.2. If deficits in the knowledge and the special areas of law for dentists are determined, the equivalence of your qualifications will not be certified. You will receive notification of the differences in your professional qualifications.
You can then take a knowledge test to determine equivalence. If you successfully complete the exam, you will be granted permission to use the specialist designation "Fachzahnärztin" or "Fachzahnarzt" for your specialization.

4. You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within one month (e.g. file an objection). We recommend that you first speak to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.


Documents required

  • Application for recognition
    (under "Forms")
    Make a written request by mail.
  • Curriculum vitae
    Curriculum vitae in tabular form with information on completed further training and professional experience
  • Proof of identity
    Identity card or passport
  • License to practice medicine or professional permit
    Proof of German license to practice medicine or profession and proof of equivalent level of training
  • Proof of qualifications
    Further training certificates and certificates of professional practice
  • If necessary, further documents and additional evidence for the assessment of equivalence
    You only need to hand in the following documents if the competent authority asks you to do so:
    • *Certificate of Conformity
    • Evidence that you have actually and lawfully practiced the profession for at least 3 consecutive years during the last 5 years before the certificate was issued
  • Declaration on previous professional recognition procedures
    Declaration as to whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another dental association
  • German translation
    If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.


EUR 100,00 to EUR 640,00 Euro, per effort

Average time to process request

Usually within 4 months after receipt of complete documentation.

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

The application for recognition of a foreign professional qualification as a specialist dentist must be submitted to the Berlin Chamber of Dentists.

Für Sie zuständig


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.