Residence document-GB

UK nationals require a residence title or other proof of their right of residence in order to stay in Germany.

If UK nationals and their family members moved to Germany by 31.12.2020, they derive a right of residence from EU law. In that case more generous conditions apply.

You will be issued with a GB residence document ex officio. This is generally valid for 10 years and certifies your right of entry and residence. With this document you are entitled to exercise all forms of economic activity (employment or self-employed activities).


  • British citizenship
    • The designation “British Citizen“ is stipulated on the passport.
    • Besides your UK nationality, you do not hold German citizenship or the nationality of another member state of the EU or EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway).
  • Non-UK family members
    You are a family member of a UK national but do not yourself have UK citizenship? In that case you can only obtain the GB residence document if you are not a national of a member state of the EU or the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway).
  • You moved your place of residence to Germany by 31.12.2020.
  • Main residence currently in Berlin
    You are only registered at a secondary place of residence (Nebenwohnsitz) in Berlin? Then please contact the Foreigners Authority in your principal place of residence.
  • Appointment
    • Please book an appointment online.
    • In the case of families, all members (spouse and minor children from 6 years) are required to attend together. If possible, please do not bring children under 6 years with you to your appointment.

Documents required

  • Form "Angaben zur Ausstellung eines AufenthaltsdokumentsGB" (Information on the issue of a residence document-GB) - completed
    The form must be completed for every person who would like to receive a GB residence document.
  • Valid passport
    The passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the appointment.
  • 1 current biometric photo
    The photograph must be current. It must also fulfill the photograph requirements for electronic passports.
  • If you are married: your wedding certificate or same-sex registered partnership certificate
  • For children under 18: birth certificate and current certificate of school attendance
    The school certificate should not be older than 14 days at the time of the appointment.
  • Where available: existing residence documents under EU free movement law
    Only if a German Foreigners Authority has issued you or your family members with one of the following documents:
    • Residence card
    • Permanent residence card or
    • Certificate of the right of permanent residence for Union citizens
  • Employees: Documents on the employment
    • Current certificate from the employer stating the type and duration of employment
    • last salary statement
  • Self-employed and freelance workers: Documents on the self-employment
    • Commercial register extract (Handelsregisterauszug ) or business registration (Gewerbeanmeldung)
    • Current tax demand
  • If you are studying: Current certificate of matriculation at educational establishment
  • If you are not / no longer engaging in economic activity: Proof of livelihood
    • Proof of income (e.g. pension slip)
    • Certificate of current health insurance cover
  • If you are drawing job centre or welfare office benefits
    • Benefits in accordance with the German social assistance legislation SGB II (so-called „Hartz IV“): current job centre statement
    • Benefits in accordance with the German social assistance legislation SGB XII (Grundsicherung): current welfare office statement
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
  • Only in specific cases for assessing the right of permanent residence: proof of continuous residence in Germany
    • Will you have lived in Germany for at least five years by the time of your appointment?
    • And you moved to Berlin less than five years ago?
    Then please bring proof of your previous place of residence in Germany (e.g. tax declaration, tenancy agreement or similar document) with you.


  • From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
  • Until the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
  • Free of charge if already in possession of a permanent residence card

Average time to process request

We will send you the GB residence document or GB frontier-worker residence document by post as quickly as possible. It will take around 6 weeks to send you the electronic residence document after it has been ordered.
An attendance at a further appointment is not necessary.

Für Sie zuständig


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.