Travel document - Reissue at the location Berlin Immigration Office, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer
Cash and girocard (with PIN) (formerly EC card) can be used for payment at the location.
- Payments are also possible by credit card (VISA, Mastercard and Maestro).
- Photo booth and copier (charge) are located at the cashier (house A, first floor).
Travel document - Reissue
Travel documents issued by an authority for non-residents include in particular
- travel document for foreign nationals (Reiseausweis für Ausländer)
- travel document for refugees (Reiseausweis für Flüchtlinge)
- travel documents for stateless persons (Reiseausweis für Staatenlose)
Only travel documents with a validity period of up to one year (temporary travel document) are issued without biometric features.
Period of validity:
The maximum period of validity of a travel document for foreign nationals is
- for children under 12 years: six years, at the latest until their 12th birthday
- for persons who are between 12 and 24 years old at the time of issuance: six years
- for persons who are 24 years or older at the time of issuance: ten years
Furthermore, a travel document may not be valid for a longer period than the residence permit that was issued or will be issued.
Note on travel documents for foreign nationals:
- Foreign nationals from non-EU countries can be issued with a German substitute passport in the form of a travel document for foreign nationals in the case that it is not reasonably possible to obtain from the authorities of the country of origin a passport or substitute passport.
- If the state of non-possession of a passport is only temporary, then a travel document for foreigners can only be issued if compelling reasons exist for this.
Acquisition of a (national) passport must be unreasonable
A passport or substitute passport from the country of origin cannot provably be obtained in a reasonable manner. A reasonable manner constitutes in particular the timely application to the relevant authorities of the country of origin for the issuance or extension of the passport, and the payment of the fees stipulated for this.
In the case of foreign nationals recognised as refugees (in the meaning of the Geneva Refugee Convention) or stateless persons (in the meaning of the Convention on Stateless Persons) it is assumed that the acquisition of a passport would be unreasonable or impossible.
Lawfulness of the residence
The foreign national is either in possession of a residence title or will receive one together with their travel document.
- Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The applicant is required to attend in person. This applies to children as from the age of 6.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Even children’s travel documents must have a photo, regardless of the age of the child.
- Previous travel document
Assurance of citizenship (Einbürgerungszusicherung ) and confirmation from the embassy of the country of origin.
Only for foreign nationals who have had to surrender their national passport as part of a naturalisation process, or who have not received a new passport for this reason.
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- The issuance of travel documents is always subject to fees, even in the case of eligibility for social benefits in accordance with SGB II, SGB Xll (Social Security Code) or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act.
- The fee must still be paid in full even if the application for re-issuance of the travel document is declined.
- From the age of 24 years: 100.00 euros
- As from the age of 24 years with regard to those granted subsidiary protection in the meaning of Section 4 of the Asylum Law or resettlement refugees in accordance with Section 23 para 4 of the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz): 60.00 euros
- Until the age of 24 years: 97.00 euros
- Until the age of 24 years with regard to those granted subsidiary protection in the meaning of Section 4 of the Asylum Law or resettlement refugees in accordance with Section 23 para 4 of the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz): 38.00 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 60.00 euros
- Until the age of 24 years: 38.00 euros
- Sect. 4 Aufenthaltsverordnung – German substitute passports for foreigners
- Sect. 5 Aufenthaltsverordnung – General requirements for the issuance of the travel document for foreign nationals
- Sect. 6 Aufenthaltsverordnung – Issuance of the travel document for foreign nationals domestically
- Sect. 8 Aufenthaltsverordnung – Period of validity of the travel document for foreign nationals
- Article 28 of the Protocol to the Agreement on the legal status of refugees from 28 July 1951 (Geneva Convention on Refugees)
- Article 28 of the Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons from 28 September 1954 (Convention on Stateless Persons).
Average time to process request
We recommend applying for reissuing of the travel documents at least ten weeks before expiry of the validity of the current travel document.