Apply for an approbation to practise as a veterinarian (EU/EEA/Switzerland) am Standort Landesprüfungsamt für Gesundheitsberufe (Anerkennung ausländischer Abschlüsse)

 Larger map


  • Landesamt für Gesundheit und Soziales (LAGeSo)
  • Landesprüfungsamt für Gesundheitsberufe (Anerkennung ausländischer Abschlüsse)
  • Turmstraße 21 10559 Berlin
  • Mailing address
    Postfach 31 09 29 - IV A 2, 10639 Berlin
  • Tel.: (030) 90229-0
  • Fax: (030) 90229-2094
  • Home page

Opening hours

  • Tuesday

      13:00-15:00 Uhr (Telefonsprechzeit)
  • Thursday

      13:00-15:00 Uhr (Telefonsprechzeit)

Changes in opening hours

Das Referat für die Anerkennung ausländischer Gesundheitsberufe/Landesprüfungsamt ist telefonisch zu den oben genannten Telefonsprechzeiten, elektronisch oder schriftlich zu erreichen. Eine Präsenz-Beratung ist derzeit nur nach individueller Terminvereinbarung möglich. Unterlagen können per Post übersandt oder jederzeit in den Hausbriefkasten in der Turmstr. 21, Haus A, 10559 Berlin, eingeworfen werden.


Information on the address of this location

Haus A

Payment options

  • Eine Bezahlung ist nicht vorgesehen


Apply for an approbation to practise as a veterinarian (EU/EEA/Switzerland)

Veterinarians examine animals, make findings, diagnose diseases, determine therapeutic measures and carry out veterinary treatments and interventions.

In order to be able to work as a veterinarian in Germany without restriction, you need to be licensed. Approbation is the state authorisation to practice the profession. Approbation is necessary because the profession is regulated in Germany. This means that you are not allowed to work independently as a veterinarian without an Approbation.

Even with a professional qualification from a country of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can obtain the Approbation in Germany. To obtain the licence to practise medicine, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognised.

In the recognition procedure, the competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the granting of the licence to practise medicine.

A professional qualification from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland is usually automatically recognised when you apply for a licence to practise medicine. However, there may be deviations from this rule. This depends on the state in which you completed your training and at what time. If you started your professional training after your country of training joined the EU/EEA, your professional qualification is automatically recognised.

If your professional qualification does not originate from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, other regulations apply.

In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must also fulfil other requirements for the granting of the permit. Further requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.

You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.

1. Application
You submit an application for a licence to practise veterinary medicine to the competent authority. The competent body then checks whether your training corresponds to the German training and whether all other requirements are met.

2. Automatic recognition
As a rule, the procedure of automatic recognition applies if you started your professional training after the EU/EEA accession of your country of training. This means: If you also meet all other requirements, your professional qualification will be recognised without an individual equivalence test.

3. Certificate of conformity
Vocational training that you started before the EU/EEA accession of your training state (or that does not correspond to the legal designations) can also be recognised automatically. To do so, you must submit a certificate from the competent authority in your country of training stating that your professional qualification meets the minimum standards of the EU ("certificate of conformity"). If your professional qualification does not meet the minimum standards, you have to prove your professional practice. You must have worked as a veterinarian in your country of origin for an uninterrupted period of 3 years in the 5 years preceding your application. This must be confirmed by the competent authority of your country of origin.

4. Examination of equivalence
If you cannot present a certificate of conformity or do not have enough professional experience, your training must be checked individually. The competent body will compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification. The competent body checks whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

5. Possible results of the examination
If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The authority can confirm the result to you in writing. You still have to fulfil the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will be granted your licence to practise as a veterinarian.
  • Are there significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? Perhaps you can compensate for the differences through your professional practice, other knowledge or skills (lifelong learning). You must provide evidence of professional practice. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority of the state in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.
  • However, it may be that the essential differences cannot be compensated by this knowledge. The competent authority will tell you the essential differences and why you cannot compensate for the essential differences through your professional experience.
  • The decision of the competent body will also state the level of your training and the level required in Germany. You will then not be allowed to work as a veterinarian in Germany.

6. Aptitude test
If your professional qualification is not equivalent and you cannot make up the difference, you can take an aptitude test. The aptitude test examines the main differences in your professional qualification. The aptitude test takes place in the form of technical interviews, which may also include practical parts. If you pass the aptitude test and meet all other requirements, you will receive your licence to practise veterinary medicine.


  • Veterinary training completed in the EU/EEA/Switzerland equivalent to German training or an equivalent level of knowledge.
    The equivalence of the level of knowledge is to be proven by an examination if necessary
  • Health fitness
  • Proof of reliability and worthiness for the practice of the veterinary profession
  • Sufficient knowledge of German level B 2
  • Proof of responsibility

Documents required

  • Application for the granting of the licence to practise medicine in the case of training in the European Union (EU)
  • Proof of responsibility for the Land of Berlin
    (e.g. confirmation of employment, proof of habitual residence in the Land of Berlin/
    main residence if applicable, applications for vacancies in the Land of Berlin, invitations to interviews).
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form with signature and date
  • Proof of identity (valid identity card or passport)
  • Certificate of birth
    (in the event of a change of name, e.g. due to marriage, also this document)
  • Certificate of good conduct for presentation to an authority
    To verify personal reliability, information from the Federal Central Register (certificate of good conduct) is required for submission to an authority (document type O).
    The information must be not older than three months.
  • Certificate of Good Conduct/Certificate of Clearance of Offences
    of the police or judicial authorities of the home country, if applicable, of the study country (if presented, not older than 3 months)
  • Certificate of good conduct/clearance certificate (Certificate of good standing)
    of the competent authority of the country in which the profession was practised (if presented, not older than 3 months)
  • Medical certificate from a doctor licensed in Germany
    (not older than 3 months if presented)
  • Evidence of completed training (European Union)
    (see checklist for persons with EU education)
  • Certificate B 2 on knowledge of the German language
    (from telc, TestDaF or Goethe-Institut - not older than 3 years).
    It is not necessary to submit the language certificates at the time of application.
  • Doctoral certificate (if available)
  • Official certification of copies
    If copies are submitted, they must be officially certified. In the case of copies without official certification, the simultaneous submission of the originals is required.


EUR 210.00

Average time to process request

approx. 3-4 months, if all documents are complete

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

Approbation is only granted by the Berlin State Office for Health and Social Affairs.


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.