EU long-term residence permit

Issue of an EU long-term residence permit


  • Possession of a residence title for 5 years
    You must
    • have lived in Germany for at least 5 years
    • have had a residence title (visa, residence permit, settlement permit) without interruption
    • and must have a valid residence title at present.
    In case of specific residence titles, for instance a residence permit on humanitarian grounds or for the purpose of study or training, no EU long-term residence permit may, however, be issued.
  • Proof of Income
    • You must have a stable and regular income which is sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of your family.
    • You must be covered by a statutory health insurance or must have taken out a private health insurance for an indefinite period or to be automatically renewed in the same scope as the statutory health insurance.
    Proof of sufficient income to sustain oneself may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex civil partner in the event of marital or civil partner-ship cohabitation. In this event, both spouses or same-sex civil partners must, however, appear in person.
  • Sufficient knowledge of German
  • Basic knowledge of the legal and social system in Germany
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • No criminal record
    Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
  • Adequate pension plan
    When reaching the age of 67, you must have a provision for old age which covers your maintenance needs. For applications in 2022, the following applies:
    • You have either built up pension rights by paying contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund (normally for at least 60 months) or to another insurance or pension institution entitling you to comparable benefits, or
    • you receive a monthly cash benefit of at least 926.00 euros from a private pension or life insurance, or
    • you, as a self-employed person, will have assets of at least 195,104.00 euros.
    The proofs of entitlement to pension schemes may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partner-ship cohabitation.

Documents required

  • Application
    Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Proof of income
    • Contract of employment,
    • Current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days) and
    • Salary statements for the last 6 months.

    Self-employed persons:
    • Completed audit report together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register;
    • The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
    • Last tax assessment notice.

    • Tax assessment notices,
    • Bank account statements that show a regular inflow,
    • Invoices,e.g. from galleries and auction houses and the like.

    Proof of sufficient resources to sustain oneself may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner (see “Prerequisites”).
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
    Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
  • Old-age provision
    You can provide evidence of adequate retirement benefits (see section "Prerequisites") by:
    • Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
    • Proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution, or
    • Private pension or life insurance, or
    • Own or operating assets
    The proofs of entitlement to pension schemes may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner (see “Prerequisites”).
  • Health insurance (insurance card, insurance policy)
    • If you are covered by statutory health insurance, a current confirmation of health insurance coverage from your provider.
    • If you are insured with a private health insurance company, the policy and proof of contributions paid (e.g. statements of account).
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
    (See section "More information")


In principle, the obligation to pay the processing fees arises as soon as an application is received. A repayment is not possible even if the application is withdrawn if the substantive processing has already begun (examination of the necessary residence times and/or examination of the documents sent or sending an appointment for an interview). The fees are:

  • EUR 113.00 (EUR 56.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 56.50 upon grant)
For Turkish nationals:
  • EUR 22.80: up to the age of 24 (EUR 11.40 upon receipt of application and EUR 11.40 upon grant)
  • EUR 37.00: from the age of 24 (EUR 18.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 18.50 upon grant)

Für Sie zuständig


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.