Apply for recognition of foreign professional qualifications (EU/EEA/Switzerland) as a specialist pharmacist
With the training as a pharmacist specialist, you have acquired an additional pharmaceutical specialization to your qualification as a pharmacist abroad. To work as a pharmacist in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional permit that is valid in Germany. In order to work as a pharmacist specialist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist pharmacist. With the recognition of your professional qualification, you may use the continuing education title for your specialization as a pharmacist specialist .
Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding continuing education designation also in Germany.
The permission will be granted by the responsible Chamber of Pharmacists Berlin after examination of your documents and prerequisites when applying in Berlin.
1. you submit your application and the required documents to the Berlin Chamber of Pharmacists.
If necessary, you will be asked to submit any missing documents.
2. The procedure of automatic recognition often applies. This means: Your professional qualification will be recognized without an individual equivalence test.
3. If the requirements for mutual recognition or equality are not met, the Berlin Chamber of Pharmacists will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent.
3.1. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
If your specialist pharmacist qualification is recognised, you can work in the profession in Germany. You will receive a notification.
3.2. If significant differences are found, the equivalence of your pharmacist specialist qualification will not be certified. You will then receive notification of the differences in your professional qualifications. You can complete an aptitude test or an adjustment course to compensate for the differences.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether you have acquired the special or additional knowledge and skills required for recognition.
- You will be examined orally in front of an examination board, usually for 30 minutes.
- You will then receive written notification of the result of the examination. The exam may be repeated a maximum of two times.
The adaptation course is a practical post-qualification course and serves to deepen knowledge and skills in the development, manufacture, testing and dispensing of medicinal products as well as information and advice on medicinal products.
- The competent body decides on the content, duration and implementation.
- A certificate will be issued to you upon completion of the course.
4. You will be informed of the result of the recognition procedure in a notification. You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within one month (e.g. lodge an objection). We recommend that you first speak to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.
License to practice medicine/ approbation
You must already have a state professional license (approbation) valid in Germany as a pharmacist or a professional permit.
Equivalence of your professional qualification
If your degree is not automatically recognised, you must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist.
- For the online application: registration/login to the service account Berlin (Service-Konto Berlin)
Application for recognition
online possible to submit;
or you submit an informal written application by post.
- For the online application: Please have all the required documents and evidence ready to upload in PDF, JPG, JPEG or PNG format. A single file can be no larger than 3 MB.
Curriculum vitae in tabular form with details of further training courses completed and professional practice
Proof of identity
Identity card or passport
License to practice medicine or professional permit
Proof of German license to practice medicine/ approbation or professional license and proof of equivalent level of education and training
Proof of qualifications
Further education certificates and certificates of professional practice
Declaration on previous professional recognition procedures
Explanation of whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another Chamber of Pharmacy
If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.
- EUR 150,00 to EUR 1.600,00 per effort
Average time to process request
Usually within 3 months after receipt of the complete documents; the deadline can be extended by one month.
- Chamber of Pharmacists Berlin
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the portal Recognition in Germany (Anerkennung in Deutschland)
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications (BQ-Portal)
- Financial assistance in the recognition procedure
- Publicly appointed translators in Germany
- Information about the Point of Single Contact Berlin
Diese Dienstleistung können Sie auch online über das des Einheitlichen Ansprechpartners erhalten.