Apply for recognition of foreign professional qualifications (third country) as a specialist
The profession of specialist is regulated in Germany. This means: You need a permit if you want to use the designation "Fachärztin" or "Facharzt" for your specialization in Berlin.
With the education as a specialist you have acquired a medical specialization to your qualification as a doctor abroad. To work as a doctor in Germany, you first need your license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your specialist training. This allows you to use the designation "Fachärztin" or "Facharzt" in your respective specialization.
Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is a corresponding continuing education designation also in Germany.
The permission will be granted by the responsible medical association in Berlin after examination of your documents and requirements.
1. You submit your application and the required documents to the Berlin Medical Association. If necessary, you will be asked to submit missing documents.
2. The competent authority will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
3.1 If your specialist qualification is recognised, you can work in the profession in Germany. You will receive a notification.
3.2 If significant differences are found, you will not be certified as having equivalent specialist qualifications: you will receive a justification. You can take an exam to prove the missing knowledge. *If you pass the exam, you will receive recognition. You may then use the title "Fachärztin" or "Facharzt" for your specialization.
4 You can take legal action against the decision of the competent body within a certain period of time (for example, file an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details on this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.
License to practice medicine/ approbation
You must already have a state license to practice medicine (approbation) valid in Germany or a license to practice medicine/ doctor or a professional permit.
Equivalence of your professional qualification
You must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist.
Application for recognition
Please use the form (see "Forms")
Curriculum vitae in tabular form with details of further training courses completed and professional practice
Proof of identity
Official identification document with photo (passport or identity card (ID) and, if applicable, residence permit)
License to practice medicine or professional permit
Proof of German license to practice medicine/ approbation or professional license and proof of equivalent level of education and training
Continuing education certificates
Further education certificates and certificates of professional practice
- Additional evidence for the assessment of equivalence
Declaration on previous professional recognition procedures
Declaration of whether you have already submitted an application for recognition to another medical association
If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.
- EUR 350,00 to EUR 1.500,00 per effort for the recognition of further education from Non-EU countries/ third countries.
- if applicable, additional costs for translations, certifications and further official acts of the Berlin Medical Association will be incurred
Average time to process request
- Information sheet for the application
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the portal Recognition in Germany (Anerkennung in Deutschland)
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications (BQ-Portal)
- Financial assistance in the recognition procedure
- Publicly appointed translators in Germany
The application for recognition of a foreign professional qualification as a specialist must be submitted to the Berlin Medical Association (Ärztekammer Berlin).