Craft - entitlement to exercise as an experienced journeyman (senior journeyman regulation)
As experienced joiners, you can obtain a right to exercise a profession in crafts requiring a licence in accordance with § 7b HwO to begin freelance work, provided you meet certain requirements.
In the following crafts no right to exercise can be applied for:
- Chimney sweeper
- Hearing Care Professionals
- Orthopaedic technician
- Orthopaedic shoemaker
- Dental technician.
Once you have received the right to engage in craft activities, you can be entered in the craft register (see Further information) or you can take up a position as technical manager or technical operations manager in another company.
Journeyman's examination or a comparable final examination in the trade to be practised
- The journeyman's examination or a comparable final examination in the craft to be practised in Annex A or a related craft in accordance with the Crafts Code
- Proof of a total of 6 years' activity (after successful completion of the journeyman's examination) in the craft to be practised in the craft in Appendix A or a related craft in accordance with the Crafts Code
- Proof of a managerial activity over a period of at least 4 years. A managerial activity is assumed if the journeyman has been assigned autonomous and permanent decision-making powers in a company or in essential parts of a company.
- Proof of business management, commercial and legal knowledge.
Expertise in the crafts requiring approval
An entitlement to exercise in accordance with § 7b HwO can be provided by means of job references, job descriptions or in any other way. In particular, the documents must show in detail the reference to the managerial activity and the concrete scope of duties and responsibilities. Insofar as the proof of business management, commercial and legal knowledge cannot be provided by professional experience, the necessary knowledge and skills must be demonstrated by participation in appropriate training courses or in some other way.
- Application for the granting of an exercise right according to § 7b HwO
Identity card or other official identification including a photograph
Proof of expertise
Proof of expertise in the craft for which the exercise break is requested, e.g. through training, further training and work certificates, references, etc.
The entitlement to exercise the right must be submitted to the Chamber of Crafts responsible for the commercial main branch. If this is not yet known, the registration can also be applied for at the Chamber of Crafts responsible for the applicant's place of residence.