Craft trades - Determination of the equivalence of professional qualifications from abroad in craft trades subject to authorisation
There are about 200 professions in the skilled crafts sector in Germany. 53 of these professions are subject to licensing:
- Optician (m/f/d)
- Baker (m/f/d)
- Vessel and equipment constructor (m/f/d)
- Master craftsman in cast stone and terrazzo manufacture (m/f/d)
- Cooper (master craftsman qualification) (m/f/d)
- Boat Builder (master craftsperson) (m/f/d)
- Well builder (m/f/d)
- Gunsmith (m/f/d)
- Surgical instrument maker (m/f/d)
- Roofer (m/f/d)
- Turner (ivory carver) and wooden toy maker (master craftsman qualification) (m/f/d)
- Electrical Machine Engineer (master craftsperson) (m/f/d)
- Electrics Technician (master craftsperson) (m/f/d)
- Screed layer (m/f/d)
- Precision machinist (m/f/d)
- Butcher (m/f/d)
- Tile and mosaic layer (m/f/d)
- Hairdresser (m/f/d)
- Scaffolder (m/f/d)
- Glass Blower and Glass Apparatus Maker (m/f/d)
- Glazier (m/f/d)
- Glass finisher (m/f/d)
- Hearing aid audiologist (m/f/d)
- Communication Technician (master craftsperson) (m/f/d)
- Installer and Heating Fitter (master craftsperson) (m/f/d)
- Refrigeration Mechanic (m/f/d)
- Coachbuilder (m/f/d)
- Tinsmith (m/f/d)
- Pastry cook (m/f/d)
- Automotive Mechatronics Technician (m/f/d)
- Mechanic for Agricultural and Construction Machinery (m/f/d)
- Painter and varnisher (m/f/d)
- Bricklayer and concrete specialist (m/f/d)
- Vulcaniser and tyre mechanic (m/f/d)
- Metalworker (m/f/d)
- Builder of stoves and air heating systens (m/f/d)
- Organ and harmonium maker (m/f/d)
- Maker of orthopaedic footwear (m/f/d)
- Orthotic Technician (m/f/d)
- Parquet layer (m/f/d)
- Interior decorator (m/f/d)
- Roller shutter and sunshade mechatronic technician (master craftsman qualification) (m/f/d)
- Sign and luminous advertisement maker (m/f/d)
- Chimney sweep (m/f/d)
- Ropemaker (m/f/d)
- Stonemason and sculptor (m/f/d)
- Road builder (m/f/d)
- Stuccoist (m/f/d)
- Joiner (m/f/d)
- Thermal and noise insulation fitter (m/f/d)
- Dental technician (m/f/d)
- Carpenter (m/f/d)
- Motorbike and Bicycle Mechanic (m/f/d)
Training of foreign craftsmen
They have formal training in crafts from abroad.
Place of activity in Berlin
They want to work in Berlin in the corresponding trade.
Documents and translations
You must submit your documents in German. The translations must be done by publicly appointed or authorized translators.
Application for a declaration of equivalence between the foreign professional qualification and the German reference profession
Please use the deposited form.
Identity card or other official identification document containing a photograph.
List in table form with your education and professional experience
Evidence of formal qualifications
Evidence of your education and training acquired abroad
Certificate of professional experience
A certificate stating the nature and duration of the relevant professional experience
Where appropriate, a certificate from the State of training
If the profession is regulated in the country in which you have been trained: a certificate stating that you may practise the profession in the country in which you have been trained. This certificate must be issued by the competent authority in the country in which you are training.
Declaration on the request for a determination of equivalence
Declaration that you have not yet submitted a request for a determination of equivalence
Declaration on the place of activity
Possibly proof that you want to work in Berlin (not applicable for applicants from EU/EEA/Switzerland)
- Mostly up to about EUR 600.
- The Chamber of Crafts will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the amount of work involved and are due immediately upon receipt of the notification of fees.
- Additional costs may possibly arise for you (e.g. for translations or certification of your documents). These costs vary from case to case.
Average time to process request
- The Chamber of Trade will confirm that your documents have arrived after a maximum of one month. The Chamber of Crafts will inform you if any documents are missing.
- If all necessary documents are available, the procedure will take a maximum of 3 months. In individual cases the procedure can be extended once.
- For professional qualifications from the EU, the EEA and Switzerland, the procedure may be extended by a maximum of one month.
- Craft trades subject to licensing in Germany
- Berlin Chamber of Crafts
- Information on qualification analysis
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on "Recognition in Germany"
- User Guide to the Professional Recognition Directive
- Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the BQ-Portal
- Financial assistance in the recognition procedure
- Single Point of Contact in Berlin
- Publicly appointed translators in Germany
- Entry in the craft register
- Granting of an exemption permit for registration in the register of craftsmen as EU/EEA citizens or Swiss nationals
The Berlin Chamber of Crafts is responsible for determining equivalence in the craft trades subject to authorisation in the case of intended activities in Berlin. The Chamber of Crafts will provide you with advice even before the application is made and will identify the appropriate occupation in the craft trade sector for you.
The Chamber of Crafts will inform you which documents you have to submit in original or as certified copy or as simple copy.