Residence permit for foreigners with a long-term residence in an EU member state
Foreigners who are entitled to posses the legal status of a long-term resident in an EU member state will be granted a residence permit if their stay within the territory of the Federal Republic shall last longer than three months.
Foreigners entitled to long-term residence are those who hold a residence permit (under EU Directive 2003/109/EG of 25.11.2003) bearing the designation "permanent residence EG" or "permanent residence EU" in the respective official language of the issuing EU member state.
Excluded from this are holders of a residence title issued by Great Britain, Denmark and Ireland, since these EU member states do not apply the corresponding EU directive 2003/109/EG dated 25.11.2003.
The general prerequisites for issuing a German residence permit, such as a secure livelihood, apply without restriction.
The residence permit allows gainful employment dependent upon the predominant purpose for which the residence shall serve (e.g. studies, employment, self-employed activity). The §§ 16-21 of the residence law shall be applied analogously.
The legal status of a person with long-term residence entitlement in another EU member state
- The right to claim a residence permit exists as a matter of principle only then when in another EU member state a residence permit has already been issued (pursuant to the EU directive 2003/109/EG dated 25.11.2003) bearing the wording "permanent residence EG" or "permanent residence EU" in the respective official language.
- As a rule, a temporary residence permit without this additional note is insufficient.
- Only in exceptional cases can the status of long-term residence entitlement be proved by written confirmation issued by the competent authorities of the other EU member state. The residence permit may only be granted on a discretionary basis.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
Form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
verfügbar in den Sprachen Deutsch, Englisch, Französisch, Italienisch, Griechisch, Türkisch, Vietnamesisch, Spanisch, Portugiesisch, Russisch, Serbisch und Bosnisch;
nur bei erstmaliger Beantragung auszufüllen
- Valid passport with long-term residence ("permanent residence EU" or "permanent residence EG") of the other EU member state
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of Income
- for students: escrow account at a German Bank or submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form,
- bank statements of the last 3 months
Documentation regarding the intended purpose of stay (original)
e.g. certificate of enrolment, employment etc.
In certain circumstances: Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
- Health insurance
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Adults: 100.00 euros
- Minors: 50.00 euros
- Adults: 93.00 euros
- Minors: 46.50 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.